Ask your chick related questions HERE! (Newbies welcome!)

Welcome to BYC laceyj!

Do you see any injuries to the chicks leg/foot? Any large swollen areas on the bottom of the foot or leg? If not, I would guess the leg has been injured in some way (like a sprain). You might try separating it from the others for a few days and see if it improves.
No injuries or swelling visible to the naked eye. She will only eat wet chick crumble while I hold her in my hand, but drinks from the water in the brooder on her own. Looks like it's gonna be a long few days. She did seem to be trying to use it more today though. Guess I'll hand feed her and see how we get through. As long as she eats and drinks I know there's not really much else other than separation that I can do. Thanks for the reply!

I have 27 5 week old chicks. The brooder was in the house, they outgrew it. They went into the barn with a K-9 pen and a heat lamp. Last Sunday they were moved to the large chicken coop with 9 laying hens. I built a run for them which is bigger than the inside part of the coop. They have been outside for the past few days and really enjoying the outdoors.

Tonight the big girls went in their side and right up to the roost. The young ones did not go back inside so I 'chased' them in and closed their door. Here is the problem....... they are all piled up at the door trying to get out. It is dark in the coop but they are still piled up maybe 3 deep and in a panic. I went in and started placing them on the roost but they jump off and run right back to the door.

What is going on here? I am not happy with this behavior, maybe because I dont understand the problem.

Any help?

I have a couple of my week old chicks who "challenge" the litter scoop when I'm cleaning the brooder, while the rest run and huddle. It reminds me of a roo protecting his ladies. Is it possible these two might be cockerels instead of pullets? One of these same ones, even though one of the smallest of 11, is the most feisty. Trying its darndest to fly from about day 3 - really cute to watch. :cd

I haven't lost any more chicks! I am still not sure what happened, but whether it is the Corid, the grit, both or neither, I'm just glad it doesn't continue to be a problem!

New question. My girls have been in coop for a few days now and it's mostly going well. But I've noticed that due to tree cover and window position, the coop stays really quite dark most of the day. I am thinking I need to add artificial light so they can see. What is a good solution for that? Bulb type and size and time? Thanks!

Hi,

I have some questions for you or for anyone on the board really.

1) The first has to do with how to keep my three chickens tame? I would love to be able to catch them easily for healthcare reasons and also for holding (as long as they seem to like it). The strategies that I have been using do not seem to be working. I had been having my parents help me catch the two big ones in the past when they are in the coop (I can't go into the run, because it is not high enough). This is out right now, because that are a bit skittish about roosting in the dark (I just started turning their heat lamp off at night), and disturbing them too much would result in a chick pile in the corner.

The one chicken that will let me catch her (my Langshan) seems to enjoy it when I take her in the house and hold her. However, she will start panting after about 15 to 60 minutes inside (I'm hoping its an issue with her getting overheated and not a brewing respiratory problem) forcing me to take her back outside. Also, I did wonder how sanitary this was.

All three of them will take feed from my hand (although they won't let me touch them), so I think my plan for now is to sit by the run and reward any chicken that does come over with a tidbit. Also, to hold my Langshan outside instead of inside. let me know if you have any other ideas.

2) Do you have any advice for introducing them to mealworms. I tried showing them dried mealworms, and they did not seem to know what to do with them.

3) This one may sound pretty elementary, but do you have any advice on simplifying/improving my cleanup routine? Right now, I am cleaning their poop board (with gloves on) in the morning, and picking up waste out of the run at night (after they are in the coop and can move the run). I do plan to get some boots to wear, so I'm not accidentally contaminating my everyday shoes any more, but wasn't sure if there is anything else to be done.

11123877_764204123686519_645200610_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom