Ask your chick related questions HERE! (Newbies welcome!)

Is it normal to see eggs moving at only day 15/16? The temp has been rather high during this hatch as I am proceeding in a dry incubation?

Last edited:
Hi,

I have some questions for you or for anyone on the board really.

1) The first has to do with how to keep my three chickens tame? I would love to be able to catch them easily for healthcare reasons and also for holding (as long as they seem to like it). The strategies that I have been using do not seem to be working. I had been having my parents help me catch the two big ones in the past when they are in the coop (I can't go into the run, because it is not high enough). This is out right now, because that are a bit skittish about roosting in the dark (I just started turning their heat lamp off at night), and disturbing them too much would result in a chick pile in the corner.

The one chicken that will let me catch her (my Langshan) seems to enjoy it when I take her in the house and hold her. However, she will start panting after about 15 to 60 minutes inside (I'm hoping its an issue with her getting overheated and not a brewing respiratory problem) forcing me to take her back outside. Also, I did wonder how sanitary this was.

All three of them will take feed from my hand (although they won't let me touch them), so I think my plan for now is to sit by the run and reward any chicken that does come over with a tidbit. Also, to hold my Langshan outside instead of inside. let me know if you have any other ideas.

2) Do you have any advice for introducing them to mealworms. I tried showing them dried mealworms, and they did not seem to know what to do with them.

3) This one may sound pretty elementary, but do you have any advice on simplifying/improving my cleanup routine? Right now, I am cleaning their poop board (with gloves on) in the morning, and picking up waste out of the run at night (after they are in the coop and can move the run). I do plan to get some boots to wear, so I'm not accidentally contaminating my everyday shoes any more, but wasn't sure if there is anything else to be done.

11123877_764204123686519_645200610_n.jpg

Hi Susan. Keeping them tame huh? It sounds like you're doing exactly what you need to do. I sit on the ground and feed my flock by hand at least 4-5 times a week.

Mealworms. I just started throwing a small handful on the ground until they decided it was something they liked. Now I just feed them by hand.

It sounds like you have everything under control and are doing an excellent job. You clean A LOT more than I do, lol.

Wow! I'm feeling pretty unsanitary. I had my chicks in the house for the first 3-1/2 weeks. Now that they are out in the coop, I go in and out in whatever shoes (or sandals) are handy. I take a stool in and sit with them. Within moments they are climbing all over me. Two will get up on my shoulder, which I try to discourage (they like my earrings). They will fly up and sit on my back when I'm bent over cleaning the poop. They even let our grand kids pick them up. I wanted them tame, but am now wondering if they are TOO tame. ;) If they are like this at 5 weeks, what will they be like as adults?

As for easy routine, I am loving the sand/Stall Dry mix I have on the floor of the coop. Cleanup is easy peasy with a kitty litter scoop. I will be putting poop boards in with the higher roosts when the chicks are a bit older, which I plan to fill with Stall Dry (like Sweet PDZ).

Hi all, Just wondering if it is normal for my 5 week old chicks to be losing feathers? I have found 3 in the coop in the last couple of days. Poor little things need all their feathers...its still getting chilly at night here - supposed to be below freezing overnight tonight.

We have 10 six week old pullets that were raised in a home made brooder. A couple of weeks ago we moved the brooder out to the quarantine section of the run so the 14 existing chickens can get used to seeing them. We open the side door of the brooder each morning and close it at night. The pullets go back into the brooder at night and sleep on the floor (covered with pine shavings). I put a couple of perches in the brooder and they like to jump up on the perches, but at night they still sleep on the floor. When will they start perching at night? We plan on introducing them to the hen house in a couple of weeks (probably late at night), but I'm concerned that they will continue to sleep on the floor.

Here are a couple of pictures of the brooder. One with the side door open showing the girls lying on the floor and one with the top open with one of the Ameraucana's on one of the perches.

Hello every one. I have 3 golden cochin bantams chicks. Theri age is in between 1 to 1.5 month. I saw one of them today having some skin problem. Its body hairs almost vanished. I can now clearly see its skin. Feathers are fine. Hairs beneath feathers and neck are gone. Chick is also scratching her body with her beak. Is it molting or any kind of insects on chick"s body? By the way is almost 40 to 45 degree of temperature out here these days. So is it possible that chicks molt in hot simmers of june-july.? If its molting or if insects, what should i do ? I am new to chicks raising so kindly tell me if its a critical situation on my chick or is it usual ? Thanks. :)

I would pick up your chicken and look closely at its skin and shaft of feathers. Do you see any mites or lice or nits ( lice egg)? If your not sure what they look like google it or search for it here in BYC. I know there is an article featured on the home page.

Some mites come out at night, so be sure to check your chicken then also.

Oops, I just checked the home page & they replaced that article with a different one. You can still do a search for it here on BYC, it was very informative.

Last edited:

There was some error in my computer while uploading picture before but now, here you can see her skin is running out of hairs.She was perfectly fine yesterday then i came back home and saw her like this. She is eating running and doing what her fellows do but i am worried about if its molting or anything else. I haven"t seen any kind of lice or mite or eggs on her skin yet. She has done all this to her by herself with the beak. And still doing it. What would you recommend ?

There was some error in my computer while uploading picture before but now, here you can see her skin is running out of hairs.She was perfectly fine yesterday then i came back home and saw her like this. She is eating running and doing what her fellows do but i am worried about if its molting or anything else. I haven"t seen any kind of lice or mite or eggs on her skin yet. She has done all this to her by herself with the beak. And still doing it. What would you recommend ?

I would try adding vitamins to her water. I've heard that chickens will sometimes eat feathers if they are lacking some vitamin. Anyway, even if that isn't the problem, the vitamins won't hurt her. Good luck.

Hello! I'm brand new to birds and find myself with one baby quail, somewhere between a week or two old. I've named it Pip. Pip tends to sleep well after some initial upset about being put in his pen, only cheeping for about ten minutes. Once he's awake though, he cries until I pick him up, and the second I put him own he cries until I pick him up again, no matter how long that takes. My room mate is getting really irritated since I have to go to work and Pip doesn't seem to like her. How can I calm him? He has food, water, and a little heater.

( I also wasn't sure I should ask this here or in the quail thread.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom