Aspirate

NOTALLROOS

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 12, 2015
I think my chicken just Aspirated liquid forcefeeding gruel. she shows no symptoms did not cough or react but possible some went in

I had a hen aspirate medication once. It was obvious what had happened, coughing, wheezing, gurgling. She did recover and was fine. It is certainly best to not have them aspirate, take your time and don't give more than .5cc before letting them swallow, or tube instead of syringe-especially when you are trying to feed a lot, but not every aspiration will result in pneumonia. It is certainly a risk though.

I have been a hen mom for a little over a year. We decided to make an addition to our flock. My chickens are like the average persons cat or dog. They follow me everywhere, give me kisses and hugs, and actually respond appropriately most of the time. They are very well trained and so smart!

I have a baby chick now 9 days old. When we got her she was 2 days old. She was constipated and the poop was getting stuck to her vent. We started giving her water via syringe which helped stools become normal. She also had a distended rectum which I was able to put back by a mild massage with a dab of olive oil. At 5 days old, She began to give off a wheezing sound and seems to have a larger abdomen then normal. I brought her to a vet who said she has aspiration from syringe feeding. The vet told me the prognosis is not good and she will probably die, however we can try antibiotics. So I opted for antibiotics. I questioned the vet about breathing treatments and was told it would not help. She is acting normal, running as playing with the other chicks, and eating fine. We are back to the same problem now (but with wheezing) with the mild constipation, her skin and feathers around her buttocks are dry and peeling, and we see her drinking a lot less than she eats or less than the other chicks. I called the vet and asked about a possible nebulization and was told to wait 2 more days because it seems like she is making progress.
Any advice? Please help! My daughter loves this chick!!!

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of the chick her abdomen, her vent, poop, etc.?
Does her abdomen feel like it has fluid in it?
What do you feed?

To get more fluids into her try offering wet soupy(ish) feed.
What antibiotics did the vet prescribe?

We did try to give her watered down food with vitamins/electrolytes

We use Dumor chick starter.

Her chest feels soft like a balloon.

Attachments

• EF09211E-FD37-4994-8F19-316F7EDD1C31.jpeg
    EF09211E-FD37-4994-8F19-316F7EDD1C31.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 8
  • 3A1C586B-ACA0-4C99-BEAC-79E867E0EBA5.jpeg
    3A1C586B-ACA0-4C99-BEAC-79E867E0EBA5.jpeg
    634.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 7BF53680-3214-4955-8881-E2FC75309EAA.jpeg