Aspiration....

wkshaddon

Songster
Aug 15, 2019
Lane County Oregon
So my aunt and uncle have chickens and they're kind of naive as far as the care and do's and don'ts. Well my uncle took the deer head with bits of raw meat out and let the chickens eat on it. My aunt said that she heard that raw meat was good for chickens I'm not so sure I definitely wouldn't have given my chickens something like that. Anyways she went out later and noticed Ruby her favorite chicken wasn't eating or drinking and was just kind of standing around not moving about which is unlike her. So she separated her so she wouldn't get picked on and went back out later to lock them in for the night and she seemed to be okay she said well she came out in the morning and she was dead. I went out to the house later on that day and right away noticed her speckled chicken was just standing in the coop I asked so I asked her about it and she said she hasn't been eating or drinking either so I picked her up and right away noticed that her crop was three times the size of a normal full crop only it felt more like a water balloon. I started to massage it a little bit and it made a squeaky noise and then she kind of belched this horrible smell. Next thing I know she has fluid coming out of her mouth. I was afraid she was going to aspirate so every time she would stretch her neck out with her mouth open like someone that was about to puke I would tip her upside down and this nasty fluid was literally pouring out. Then I brought her upright until she would do it again and would lean her forward and more and more and more liquid kept pouring out. And her crop shrunk down to the normal size and I put her down and she seemed fine she even jumped up on the roost and slept there and then jumped down the next morning and was sunbathing herself the next morning. But then my aunt went out later to check on her and she was laying on the ground with all of the feathers in her back plucked out from the other chickens picking on her so my aunt put her somewhere where she wouldn't get picked on and lock them up for the night. I think it's pretty likely that she inhaled a little of that fluid. I told my Aunt to get her some antibiotics but I don't know if she did do you think she's going to make it or do you think she will die.

So my aunt and uncle have chickens and they're kind of naive as far as the care and do's and don'ts. Well my uncle took the deer head with bits of raw meat out and let the chickens eat on it. My aunt said that she heard that raw meat was good for chickens I'm not so sure I definitely wouldn't have given my chickens something like that. Anyways she went out later and noticed Ruby her favorite chicken wasn't eating or drinking and was just kind of standing around not moving about which is unlike her. So she separated her so she wouldn't get picked on and went back out later to lock them in for the night and she seemed to be okay she said well she came out in the morning and she was dead. I went out to the house later on that day and right away noticed her speckled chicken was just standing in the coop I asked so I asked her about it and she said she hasn't been eating or drinking either so I picked her up and right away noticed that her crop was three times the size of a normal full crop only it felt more like a water balloon. I started to massage it a little bit and it made a squeaky noise and then she kind of belched this horrible smell. Next thing I know she has fluid coming out of her mouth. I was afraid she was going to aspirate so every time she would stretch her neck out with her mouth open like someone that was about to puke I would tip her upside down and this nasty fluid was literally pouring out. Then I brought her upright until she would do it again and would lean her forward and more and more and more liquid kept pouring out. And her crop shrunk down to the normal size and I put her down and she seemed fine she even jumped up on the roost and slept there and then jumped down the next morning and was sunbathing herself the next morning. But then my aunt went out later to check on her and she was laying on the ground with all of the feathers in her back plucked out from the other chickens picking on her so my aunt put her somewhere where she wouldn't get picked on and lock them up for the night. I think it's pretty likely that she inhaled a little of that fluid. I told my Aunt to get her some antibiotics but I don't know if she did do you think she's going to make it or do you think she will die.
And do you think that it's a good idea to feed a chicken raw meat like that?

Back
Top Bottom