Aspirin, again

cate1124

Songster
12 Years
Jul 3, 2011
I've got a heavy older brahma who is limping and want to try aspirin with her, as I think a vet visit would not only be expensive, but stressful for her and probably result in a script for Meloxicam anyway. I see on poultry dvm that the aspirin dose is a five grain (325 mg) tablet or 4 baby aspirin (80 mg each) in slightly more than a cup of drinking water, changed every 12 hours. Does this dose match what others have used? Anyone see side effects in their birds, any harm done by the aspirin? Is there a limit to how many days you can safely use it?

Kind of you, thanks. I tried a dose recommended in an earlier post that sounded knowledgeable. I used half a low-dose (81 mg) aspirin once a day for my 6.6 pound light brahma who was limping. Just tucked it in a bit of raw rabbit I feed my cats, and she gobbled it right down. It seemed to help immediately; she was up and around more. I watched her poop and saw no blood (GI upset) and stayed with the low dose for three consecutive days. . I have returned to it periodically, for a single dose, if she again is seeming sedentary, now confident that it won't hurt and might help. The limp is pretty much gone, she is laying again regularly and just seems to feel better. Time probably played a part, but I think the aspirin did, too. As a matter of information, this knowledgeable poster said it is safe to give that dose --about 40 mg -- up to three times daily for a standard-sized or larger hen. I was proceeding cautiously and because I saw an effect at the lower dose did not bump it up.

Thanks so much. I would use this dose again, confidently, with any of my standard hens. I'm glad I took the plunge and tried it!

Back
Top Bottom