Aspirin dosing

UrbanChick35456

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2017
Hi! I have a silky with a hurt leg. It's been hurt for quite a while and she hops around on one leg. The muscle seems to be gone, like the leg feels much smaller than her other leg. I can tell she's in pain because her back tail feathers kind of vibrate and her movement is slightly limited compared to the other chickens. I don't want to put her down because she is still eating and drinking and taking care of herself and I usually do not put a chicken down until it's obvious they have given up. I heard I can give her aspirin. I heard I can mix up 5 tablets and a gallon of water. I can't seem to find how much of that solution I'm supposed to give my chicken at one time and how often I can repeat it in a day. So I would like to know how much of that 5 tablet in one gallon of water solution I can give her at once and also I would like to know do you all think that I am correct in keeping a chicken alive who still seems to very much want to be alive even though I know she's in pain? Thank you and my apologies that this is so long...

• You might want to check out this page and read through all of it:
  • https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
    • Note: A standard baby Aspirin is 80 mg, and a standard adult Aspirin pill is 325 mg.
    • To administer:
      • To give immediately or in individual administrations: Crush up and split dose up into 2 or 3 administrations per day. Sprinkle the powder on a small tasty treat such as fruit or yogurt and give to the chicken.
      • To have the chicken self-administer throughout the day: Crush up the total daily dose and dissolve in the approximate amount of water that the chicken drinks each day. Pour into chicken's drinking container.
Post edited to remove wrong information.

Last edited:
How old is she and how long has the leg been "hurt?"
She is about 2 years old and the leg has been hurt for a couple months. We thought she had bumble foot at first and were going to let it sort itself out, but after a while of no improvement, we picked her up to check and found that wasn't the case.

Bumblefoot can spread infection into the bones you know.

Did she have the classic bumble foot scab?

No - no evidence bumblefoot at all. We kind of assumed that that's what it could have been because of the way she was walking, but when we checked, there was nothing, just small leg muscles...

I appreciate this thread. My hen was hit by a car and miraculously survived. She is recovering and survived for over twenty four hours. Her stools we're not bloody so I figured there was no internal bleeding but her hip was dislocated. She was alert and drank water this morning.

I appreciate this thread. My hen was hit by a car and miraculously survived. She is recovering and survived for over twenty four hours. Her stools we're not bloody so I figured there was no internal bleeding but her hip was dislocated. She was alert and drank water this morning.
Welcome to BYC.
How is your girl today?

I have to piggyback on this thread. I have this wild hen in my neighborhood (very common in Hawaii where I live) and I've been feeding her for about 5 months. So we are friendly. I noticed 3 days ago she is limping. Left leg is the hurt one.

Can I give her a baby aspirin tablet. Like not in water?? If so, dosage? I'm assuming she's almost a year old. She's petite. I'd say maybe 6 lbs?

Thank

Attachments

• 20201026_121249.jpg
    20201026_121249.jpg
    906.1 KB · Views: 73

Back
Top Bottom