Assistance needed

Fieldchick

Hatching
Jul 19, 2021
I am trying to introduce 2 pullets to a small coop, with one remaining, territorial hen. It has not been going well. She aggressively attacks them, ven though they have sharing the coop with a 3/4 divider between them for over a week. Amy suggestions would be greatly appreciatef.

When you mean the coop has been divide 3/4, do you have the old hen in the big place and the smaller birds in the other side?

And I am leary of what your coop/run look like. Do you have a yard, where as there is a lot more space?

This is sounding like a space issue.

Mrs k
the coop is divided in half with a board that goes 3/4 of the way up. The hen has half the space plus the roost and nest boxes. I don’t has a separate run as my chickens have been free ranged. Shirley, the remaining hen, is out with me a good part of each day, during which I remove the divider so the pullets have the full coop.

Try taking the dominant hen out and isolate her for awhile. That may work.

What's the size differences as well? She may not accept them at all until they can defend themselves
That is an interesting idea. The pullets are about half size. They are Orpingtons so they will eventually be larger than the hen, Shirley. She is small for an Astralop.

the coop is divided in half with a board that goes 3/4 of the way up. The hen has half the space plus the roost and nest boxes. I don’t has a separate run as my chickens have been free ranged. Shirley, the remaining hen, is out with me a good part of each day, during which I remove the divider so the pullets have the full coop.
A few pictures would help. Is it possible to replace the board with HW cloth, Chicken wire, even lattice from a deck. That allows a look but don't touch integration.

Back
Top Bottom