Assistance: Panting Advice & Limping Turkey: Need Aspirin Dosage

PureBigBird

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 28, 2014
History: BBB hen had waning appetite on nest and afterwards from March through July; was hand feeding soften pellets which had probiotic + vitamins in it. Was dewormed her; gave her lower dosage of antibiotic 2 x daily. She was panting. Her stools had changed from food yellow consistency to soft green. (When it was yellow like her pellets, it was cow pod like-prior it had always been normal drops of firm stool mixed with white urine.) Thus, we pulled her off the antibiotics. She wants to sit all the time; she would eat greens, peas and a little blueberries, but no pellets-this is the reason for hand feeding her.

Took the hen to a vet who said he could find nothing wrong with the bird. UGH. Vet never perform blood work/electrolytes tests (reason unknown); nor did the vet know if the bird had an infection; the vet did a fecal from something gotten via ground. Said there was small amount of coccidia--never any blood in it from any turkeys; the hen was the only one with the fecal change-everybody stayed normal healthy. Vet had us give all birds corid-it made no difference; then the hen got diarrhea, and was put on metronidazole 250mg pill which was divided and given 2 x daily. Metronidazole never did resolve the cow pod like stools- so increased the probiotics, oregano and a little garlic in the food; the stools firmed up in 10 days! The vet gave us a feeding tube; never had to use it-hen would allow us to fed her; she has a buddy in the coop; the large coop is divided with a gate system such that each hen has their own large space to lay, feed and drink. With her best friend near her, her spirits picked up; she started eating with continuous praise from her dish.

She was going through one heck of a laying period EVER followed by her worst molt EVER! She continued to pant or open mouth breath- the rate is more rapid then our other BBB hen. If mouth does close, can see the skin under the nasal openings move back and forth during respiration. She didn't handle the loss of all her tail feathers with all those spikes and she would lean way over so we THOUGHT. She responds like a dog to her name with positive reinforcement. With praise, she will drink her vitamin and electrolyte water, and holding her dish, she will eat all her food; since July appears to have a good appetite; makes slurping yummy sounds when eating her favorites of peas, blueberries and kale. She eats peas, blueberries, very small amount of sunflower kennels and 1/2 cup of pellets for AM meal; is given watermelon and kale between, and is given 1/2 cup of pellets for PM meal. The hen probably weighs about 21 lbs. She likes to go outside. Saved her life and wish to continue to assist her.

PROBLEM (1) She was walking upright slowing to her favorite spots in the yard, but now is less mobile. She appears to favor her right leg-limps WHEN she walks upright. Can see NO external injury. When she stands, her body condition is VERY good looking; when she first gets up in the mornings or if she has been sitting for a long time, she acts as though she is going to fall over. Does not stand on the back of her foot pads, but leans way forward; we support her in the front until she finds herself. It takes her some time to gain confidence with her standing. She will also walk stooped over with the tail held very high upward (part of the time) as if to use it as a stabilizer and will hang her right wing down as a stabilizer too? Mobility looks Stressful for her and she is in pain? THERE is never any low tail!
PROBLEM (2): The hen "pants all the time." Always has been a turkey that pants-she doesn't handle warm weather and the humidity. She, now pants even in cooler nights. We keep a fan in each of the hen's locations and the coop has 2 large vents and 2 windows. She has no gurgling sounds or wheeze or rasping or nasal fluid - nothing-just scary heavy panting. Because she pants so much, when we feed her, we allow her to eat 10 bites and let it move down before continuing-as sometimes, we would hear her clear her airway/trachea from time to time when she continuously ate-so we force her to slow down. Easy to see in her mouth-it looks healthy and smells good!

Because the bird panted in the vets office during visit, Believe that the vet may not have knowledge to assist; 2 hours to the vet would STRESS the hen even more. SO NEED HELP. Birds are easily stressed and would be best if vets would make house calls for birds.
-- Need all kinds of advice about limping and pain management/dosages and the rapid respiration/panting. Do not know if her panting is just because she is in too much PAIN-and how can tell if no symptoms accept rapid breathing? PLEASE assistance-wading through the data on BYC is overwhelming. Kathy @ casportpony BYC can you read this post?

The problem is you have a broad breasted turkey. Their lives are shorten and they are prone to leg problems and heart problems due to the extra weight they carry. I would suspect she has reached the point where stuff starts breaking down. You didn't mention her age. I don't think long term you can do much for her. I will tag @casportpony for you.

The problem is you have a broad breasted turkey. Their lives are shorten and they are prone to leg problems and heart problems due to the extra weight they carry. I would suspect she has reached the point where stuff starts breaking down. You didn't mention her age. I don't think long term you can do much for her. I will tag @casportpony for you.
The Hen is 3 years 3 1/2 months. Wonderfully beautiful and loving BIRD (unfortunately genetically made when we already had turkeys for food). AVG age for females is 6 years with proper diet and 5 year lifespan for males with good care. I want to relieve her symptoms. Pain and Panting. But must try to reduce pain to see if can reduce the stress or see if panting is due to something more than pain. If can reduce stress and pain, would be great!

Confusing conflicting data: Found several suggestions for chickens or avian medicine, but unclear how to proceed. 5mg/kg (5mg per 2.2 lbs) 3 to 4 times daily or Ask A Vet said dose for chickens is much more: 25mg per lb of chicken body weight per day for example 6 lb roo would get 1 baby aspirin for am and the same for pm or 150 mg daily. This is a larger difference than the first example. Someone posted at BYC that they started 5 mg per kg/2.2mg per pound or for their roo of 8 lb was 10 mg per lb. Then someone posted the poultry podiatry or pedia site that also said that 25mg per lb each day was the correct dosage. If correct (my girl ways at least 20 lbs) this would mean. that I could give my girl as much as 500 mg split between 2 or 3 or 4 times a day. I gave the hen 81 mg yesterday morning and saw increased mobility for several hours, then when it was no longer effective, she had temperament behavior of discomfort. The hen did not graze with the other hen, but stood more often without tail upward and sat pecking at grass and making positive communication and pecking, and preened. Prior, saw less preening.

Google avianmedicine.net. there you will find links to to veterinary formularies which should have aspirin dosages. I'm on cell phone or I would do it.

When was the last time she laid an egg? Has she lost weight? Does her belly feel distended?

I lost two turkeys that age that had similar symptoms. One was heart failure, the other was ovarian cancer. Both were panting before death, but the one with cancer lost tons of weight.

Google avianmedicine.net. there you will find links to to veterinary formularies which should have aspirin dosages. I'm on cell phone or I would do it.

When was the last time she laid an egg? Has she lost weight? Does her belly feel distended?

I lost two turkeys that age that had similar symptoms. One was heart failure, the other was ovarian cancer. Both were panting before death, but the one with cancer lost tons of weight.

She and the other hen usually lay eggs in the March. No Fall laying. No distension per se. What does distension look like exactly? She only has a small bulge between her chest from her crop when it is full. Her breast is heart shaped with her crop sitting a little in the middle-not good a turkey anatomy-think the breast sits on the sides of the clavicle or wishbone and the crop sits in that region? Because of the right limp and how she holds the wing down when she first stands, examined her legs for signs of trauma. No physical injury seen. She is pulsing her vent when her tail is up. I did not check for this activity when she sits. When she sits, the tail is at rest and moves up and down as she pants.

Because of Aspirin, she is slightly more mobile-she shows a right leg limp and is moving slowly from one location to the other where she sits/plops down. She has always like to sit, but she would graze with the other hens and does not involve herself in this activity-the desire is there to graze. She will move close to where her friend is grazing and plop down nearby and make eating sounds and location communication and use her beak to examine and select soil or grass blades. If her friend leaves the coop, she will call out to her and wants to be within distance. She has not lost weight thus far. She leans over or stoops over-as if falling forward and hangs her wing or wings down and holds her tail high in the air and rocks a little in position! Once she rights herself, she can walk slowly to her destination.About 4 days ago, she would not walk to her destination, but wanted to just plop in one position, but yesterday and today, she has some mobility.
Did your turkey limp with cancer or pant all the time with cancer? The heart sits on the right of the body?

She is eating very well-and would eat continuously if I allowed free feeding! I have been giving her watermelon for electrolytes in addition to the daily water supply with vitamins and electrolytes. Her previous history in the laying season, she and her friend hen both stopped the desire to eat pellets--she would have starved herself for the season. Hand feed her as mention, and then Aug and Sept, her appetite picked up. The other hen would eat independently: peas, fresh corn, sunflower seeds, oats, berries, kale, but no pellets for six weeks after laying season, then she started eating it and so did she independently. Her stools are firm round with urine whites or elongated tubes with urine whites. Same as all the other turkeys. The rapid panting all the time is concerning. Could there be a lesion in the tracheal region that would cause panting? She will close her beak and breath heavy is a guess-as can see the skin move in and out just below each nasal capsule-this is where the sinus is located? This breathing is not apparent in the other hen when her beak is closed. When I fed her tonight, Notice that while eating, she developed clear wet nostrils. No eye discharge or swelling of the sinus. I am amazed that she can eat as well as she does a-- one might think the panting would interfere with eating. Hope this information leads or assists with discovery for her.

Last edited:
I have been reading text online that says that poultry with ear issues or ear infections will have balance problems; also poultry that has had a stroke will have balance problems. Am wondering if she had a stroke and hurt herself? She doesn't have any pupil changes. I do not know how I would know.

Back
Top Bottom