Assisted Duckling Shaking HELP!!!

Aquilist

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2018
My Pekin duckling had externally pipped over 50 hours ago. When he had made little progress and wasn't attempting to zip I decided to help him out. He had absorbed all the yolk and there were no veins in the membrane. He didn't bleed at all, although there is a small red dot at the umbilical area. Now he is in the incubator recovering. Although, his feet are shaking like crazy. he's just lying on his side cheeping like mad and flopping around. The incubator is at 37.6 degrees Celsius.
What do I do!?!? Is he cold?? Will he be ok?? He's very loud and energetic...
He looks like he needs rest but he won't sit still.
Please help!!

I assume 37.6 C is 99 degrees Fahrenheit. If so then that's the right temp. How is he doing now?

Legs are still shaking though not as much. He's kind of on his back and wriggling around heaps. Is he trying to stand up? He won't sit still and is very vocal.

Well I have not incubated any chicks or ducks yet so I am not the best person to help. All I can say is that since he/she is essentially a newborn, just give him a bit of time to build up some muscle. For better or worse I probably would have done exactly as you did out of fear that he wasn't going to be able to get out on his own. If you have some duckling vitamin or can get some I would add it his water when he is ready for his first drink to give him an extra boost just in case he needs it.

My Pekin duckling had externally pipped over 50 hours ago. When he had made little progress and wasn't attempting to zip I decided to help him out. He had absorbed all the yolk and there were no veins in the membrane. He didn't bleed at all, although there is a small red dot at the umbilical area. Now he is in the incubator recovering. Although, his feet are shaking like crazy. he's just lying on his side cheeping like mad and flopping around. The incubator is at 37.6 degrees Celsius.
What do I do!?!? Is he cold?? Will he be ok?? He's very loud and energetic...
He looks like he needs rest but he won't sit still.
Please help!!
He should be warm enough at that temp. I've incubated lots of chickens, but only one set of ducks. I always leave the chicks/ducklings in the incubator until they're dry. It usually takes them that long to get going and have balance.

Your duck sounds like it was a long hatch and he's a bit uncoordinated. The fact that he's loud and energetic is a good sign.

He should be warm enough at that temp. I've incubated lots of chickens, but only one set of ducks. I always leave the chicks/ducklings in the incubator until they're dry. It usually takes them that long to get going and have balance.

Your duck sounds like it was a long hatch and he's a bit uncoordinated. The fact that he's loud and energetic is a good sign.

That's great to hear! I did flip him onto his belly as he was quite distressed on his back. Since then, he's curled up and is now enjoying some well-earned sleep.

How is the little one doing now? And are the others hatching yet?
He's now dry and fluffy and in the brooder.
Except, he still can't walk and falls sideways onto his back when he tries to stand... His feet are 'closed'. They aren't spread out like they should be. When he's on his back, he sort of just kicks around and cries... is there something wrong with him!?! I'm getting some brewers yeast to add to his food. Is he simply weak because he's new or is it a bigger problem. He's 12 hours old now.

His left foot is also facing slightly inwards. He always falls left.
I'm really worried because I won't be able to be with him today so I'm not sure whether or not he get food

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom