Assorted Red Bin

Quote:
Production Reds -
There are two true types of true "Production Red" one is a R.I. Red bred solely for egg production and selectively bred solely from the R.I. Red. These birds tend to have some black in there tail and some ticking in there hackles but will be smaller and more lanky than a Rhode Island Red.
The other type of "Production Red" is a cross and the result of R.I. Red with Leghorn blood added. These birds tend to be lighter in color and may have some white in there tail also tend to be more Leghorn type in body.

Some Hatcheries clam that there R.I. Red /New Hampshire cross is a Production Red but this cross to me is not a true Production Red because the New Hampshire as a breed was bred solely from the
R.I. Red for a more meat type fowl not egg production.

Chris

Quote:
That was well said!
I love my PRs and yes I do refer to them lots of times as RIRs.
Around here if it's red it's a rhodie, so it is easier to just say RIR than to explain the production red to the old timers.
They are good hens and have a longer laying life(I think anyway) than some other crosses.

HennyAnnie. Have you had your PRs for a long time? I'm searching for a great brown egg layer for a free range laying flock. I've been considering the Gold Sex Link but I feel a little worried about burnout. Though I'll probably sell any layer breed from the commercial after 2 years or so. Economics are important so I don't want big eaters that hardly lay. The PR is one I've been considering. How is their personality? Do they get along well with each other and other chickens? I've heard RIR can be aggressive.
-Cielo

Back
Top Bottom