Assortment of Chicks. Pic Heavy

Jschaaff

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
New Hampshire
I had 9 chicks hatch yesterday (incubator) and have no idea what these little guys might be. I had put an assortment of blue and brown eggs in the bator.

3 of these guys hatched out of my araucana/ameraucana/EE eggs...but I am not sure who (except the first one pictured below)

My roosters are Columbian Rocks, and my various hens are as follows:

New Hampshire Red
White Araucana
Brown Araucana
Brown Ameraucana
Silver-Laced Wyandotte
Mottle Java
Barred Rock
Buff Brahma
Golden Comet

This one hatched from a blue egg:

A.
DSC08641.jpg

DSC08642.jpg

This one hatched from a brown egg:

B.
DSC08646.jpg

DSC08645.jpg

DSC08644.jpg

I am not sure on the egg color of the rest.

We are hoping this is a brahma, but he/she doesn't have feathered feet

C.
DSC08653.jpg

DSC08651.jpg

DSC08650.jpg

The twins:

D.
DSC08657.jpg

DSC08655.jpg

I'm guessing barred rock on this one-Some black spotting on the feet, tho it's hard to see in the pictures:

E.
DSC08660-1.jpg

DSC08659.jpg

DSC08665.jpg

DSC08664.jpg

This one looks so similar to my cornish x's. Obviously not a cornish, but again, as with the others, no clue:

F.
DSC08648.jpg

DSC08647.jpg

G.

DSC08668.jpg

DSC08669.jpg

No pics on the last one yet, she/he's still drying out.

Thanks for your help!

Jessa

Last edited:
No idea what they are other than ADORABLE!

I can't see any tufts on any of them, too bad, since tufts are so cute on araucanas. Can you tell if any are rumpless? Hard to tell with pictures sometimes, but if you run your finger over their bum you won't feel the little stub of a tailbone since rumpless chickens are literally missing their coccyx. '

If you hatched out some Barred rock eggs, then they would be sexlinked. Spot=cockeral, no spot= pullet
Hard to tell when they're little, you could look at their combs and narrow it down some.

Quote:
Thank you farmerChef. I am quite certain the black chick, with the white spot on his head, is a barred rock cockeral.

The rest of the chicks, I really don't know. I'll post pictures again as they get older and maybe I'll get some guesses.

Thank you!

Jessa

A) From white Ameracauna/EE
B) Barred rock or mottled java
C) ? guessing one of the brown EEs
D) NHR
E) BR
F) same as A or GC (from white parent)
G) GC (red parent) or NHR

Quote:
Is this 100% true? I bought some barred rocks from the feed store this spring - I think they came from Mount Healty. They all had spots, and they all turned out (like they were supposed to be) pullets. I'm confused.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom