Aster update : spoke to the vet.....not looking good :(

Quote:
Wow. Did you just admit that on a public forum? Your PM box is going to be filled before day's end, I predict.
wink.png

Quote:
x2. I think your "chicken vet" is probably just the default vet to ask chicken questions of since she owns chickens. She probably doesn't actually practice food animal/poultry medicine on a regular basis, although I could be wrong. I raise chickens and goats, so all the local vets here call me the "goat vet," and I don't mind helping clients out since there's nobody around that works specifically on goats, but in reality my "job" is practicing small animal emergency medicine.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using approved antibiotics in chickens, as long as you understand the withdrawal periods. I would have had her on some the second she had a puncture wound. Every vet (and person's) opinion is different though. Good luck with your little girl.
hugs.gif

I hope no one takes offense to me calling her a "chicken vet". She was very kind to call us and talk to us about Aster - especially since she is not our regular vet. I think you are right, she's the go-to vet to ask farm animal questions to. Not sure that she practices medicine on farm animals as a general rule. She's part of a small animal vet practice. My own vet (whom we adore), knows enough to say he doesn't know that much about chickens, so recommended we talk to her. As for the antibiotics, I guess that's a very personal preference - and since she raises meat birds, that is her opinion. I understand and respect it. It's all a learning curve for us. Poor Aster has not shown any progress at all - she's still turning away from Pedialyte, water, tomato, applesauce, pellets, watermelon - we've tried just about anything that she would have loved before.

I know there are many different philosophies on this list - and many different people and I appreciate and respect all of them. I think, at this point, though - our girl is suffering and we just can't have that. I cannot let her just die either...I'm afraid that would a slow and painful thing for her. If she was at least eating a little bit, or drinking a little bit - or even responding to us we'd consider that - but none of that is true for her.

Thanks, everyone. Sad day here.

I'm very sorry and certainly understand how you are feeling. Sometimes you just have to love them enough to let them go and in the end, it is the final act of kindness we can give to our feathered & furry friends.

Henny pennys mom, I am so sorry to hear about your hen. If she has neurological damage antibiotics will not help her. You can also use ether to euthanize chickens painlessly, there are some threads that explain it. You use a can of starter fluid and a sealed container (like a storage tub).

The issue with euthanasia solution (phenobarbital) and carcasses is a valid one, there have been cases of prosecution where contaminated carcasses were improperly disposed of and wildlife (including a bald eagle in one case) died. One animal may dig it up, and others, including pets, can eat it. To avoid this happening carcasses should be buried so that the top of the body is at least 2 feet underground. Burying them deeply also lowers the risk of attracting predators and scavengers to your property.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom