Astrolorps ....what age did yours lay...

I have (2) Black Australorps but they are developing at different rates. One had a severe case of wry neck and took about 2-3 weeks of treatment to pull out of it. The other hen shot up in development however far past the rest of my girls all of the same age in size, wattle development, and comb development. We were afraid "she" was a roo for a little while.

Our first egg came 19 weeks. She started squatting at 18. She has been laying a little over 2 weeks now and gives us about 5/week at the moment.

Our other Australorp, the one who went through wry neck a couple of months ago, has not started squatting yet.

I have four at 23 weeks old yesterday and I have gotten 1 egg every day for 5 days in a row. I dont know if it is 1 hen laying every day or 2 hens every other or all four are in a rotation schedule.
smile.png
But I am happy somebody started.

Mine is about 21 weeks, no eggs yet, no squatting even.... but she is calming down, i can pick her up etc... before i couldnt get within feet of her.... so im hoping maturity is setting in and eggs will come soon.
fl.gif

Ya ive noticed on here alot of people really like theres ours is actually our least favorite you can't come near her she takes off....and as a chick was the MOST friendly....ours is getting really red in the face but no squatting or anything....she is truely a pain...

I have one 4 mo old black autralorp in my flock. She has a beautiful red comb and waddle and has had for a couple of weeks. I don't know about squatting or measuring between the pelvic bones or any of those things. I touch all my girls every day and have since the were day olds. They all seem to like the contact. Several of them like to come stand near me when I let them roam free in the evenings. Despite what my daughter warned I love hearing my little roo crow. Where do I go to get educated about this phase of my chicken farming adventure? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Carol

Last edited:
I do not know when mine layed their first eggs..............
I had 5 breeds the same age and lost track............
This is off topic.but my little astro is setting on 9 eggs at 9 months old........
And a real trooper.
I did not think they would get broody this young.......So aweet to watch
smile.png

I have 3 Black Australorps that are 21 weeks and I JUST got my first little egg today
smile.png

The other two are squatting but I think I know which one laid it.. I read on this site that the legs get a light pink color - which I didn't think would apply to mine since they're all black. But I noticed yesterday that just the bottoms of one of my girls were very light.. Lo and behold she laid us the cutest little brown egg! Be patient - they'll come!
48816_first_egg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom