At a loss...

Her droppings do not look that bad, but she might need some grit for better digestion.

For the carrot soup remember to only use half the amount of salt as chickens have very sensitive kidneys.

Hi there,

Soo she is till with us and every day she gets a bit stronger. Some days she walks a few steps now rather than just permanently sitting. However I’m getting mixed views. A hen hotel lady who doesn’t take sick birds said I should euthanise her. I have someone now who can look after her whilst I’m away but I’m still at a loss as to whether I’m doing the right thing.
I gave her the carrot soup. I’ve given her some scrambled egg which she loves and she eats the pellets. Her stools are generally normal although sometimes stringy like this photo. She does the morning, runny stool. The hen hotel lady said she should have a blood test and be tested for Marek. What is your view? My chicken vet said it was too hard to get a decent blood sample and that Marek can’t be tested from blood sample anyway...??
As I said she is improving slowly everyday but am I delaying the inevitable? I literally have no idea. I just see very slow progress...but it isn’t deterioration. Any thoughts?

Also just to add, someone suggested I trim the area around the eyes to ensure she can see properly, which I have done.
Also the other 3 sit in the pouring rain getting wet avoiding the shelter and Britney stays undercover so she has something sussed!

Attachments

• F4189E24-6852-4CDA-A402-7D91A47D20EA.jpeg
    F4189E24-6852-4CDA-A402-7D91A47D20EA.jpeg
    572.5 KB · Views: 3
Where are you located in the world?
What was the antibiotics the vet gave her intitially?

I would get some chick starter and feed that to her along with a little egg. Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day for 7-10 days.

The best way to get a confirmation of Marek's is to have a necropsy.

Back
Top Bottom