At what age can chickens start to free range safely during the day?

Phoebe_here

Songster
May 24, 2022
Hello, some of my chickens are a couple of months old. At what age should they be safe to free range?

I live in the city and would like them to be able to roam freely in the garden during the day. But I’ve noticed some crows and butcher birds taking a keen interest in them - circling, calling out and sometimes swooping.

Should I wait until they’re fully grown, to be safe?

Thanks,

Phoebe.

It depends on the size and breed of the chickens, but I have 2-3-month-old hamburgs and a 3-month-old silkie who I let free range as long they have a safe place to go if they are in danger or feel stressed then they should be fine. Pictures would be welcomed

“Safe” is relative. There’s always risk with free range. Aerial predators, neighborhood dogs, etc. not sure what type of fence you have (you mentioned city). It’s really going to depend on what risk you’re willing to take/what you’re comfortable with. We started letting ours out for a period of time when we were outside with them. We found that they go back to the tractor/coop when it’s dark. I can’t remember when we first started letting them out. They were 8 months old (I think?) when we started letting them out all day. Make sure they have a place to hide if need be. Best of luck.

Thanks for your advice. I’ve since found a little cage for them, so they can enjoy some time on the grass/in the winter sun.

Here’s a pic of my older girls.

I have two more - much younger and smaller. Am taking their brooder box outside so the can enjoy some sunshine too. ☀️

Attachments

• 107E8EE9-E8C8-435D-A31E-27BA0D1E5FFD.jpeg
    107E8EE9-E8C8-435D-A31E-27BA0D1E5FFD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • FF5F6097-2714-4D38-B323-72ED4DD1E123.jpeg
    FF5F6097-2714-4D38-B323-72ED4DD1E123.jpeg
    961.7 KB · Views: 13
My youngest two can still squeeze through the bars of this cage, so I’ll wait a while before introducing them to the flock and larger cage.

I take my young chickens put them with the rest at 3 to 4 weeks old. From that time takes them about a week to get things figured out and start to go outside and free range. As they are quite small yet they do not go far.

As said above, Safe is relative and there is always chance something will happen.

Above you got advice about risk tolerance. We used to let out girls range in a 20’ x 50’ fenced area. Over 4 years we have lost have a dozen pullets and hens to predators. Hawks, maybe fox. And yesterday this guy got caught in our home made bird netting. I managed to free him and he flew away. We are in the suburbs of Boston.

Attachments

• 0504C868-752E-4952-BC78-F81C62B436E1.jpeg
    0504C868-752E-4952-BC78-F81C62B436E1.jpeg
    797.6 KB · Views: 11
Oh no. I’m so sorry to hear you’ve lost so many birds over the years.

I didn’t realise owls are a risk. What an amazing photo! Even though it is a predator I’m glad you were able to free it. I hope it doesn’t bother your flock again.

We don’t have such big owls here in Brisbane, Australia. But I do think we have foxes - even in the inner city. And domestic animals - cats and dogs - might be an issue…

Back
Top Bottom