At what age can chicks go outside

raccoon

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Cassatt S.C.
My chicks are 3wk's old and are excaping out of there brooder they have 12 x12 ft two roost and still jump or fly over the 16 in wall want take them out for play time It is high 60's low 70's during the day here is it ok for them to go out

im wondering the same thing , but i live in ontario canada and its only about 8 + out here past few weeks and the farm next door had their newborn chicks out so , i would say they could go out not for too long but im no expert

If it is in the 60's or 70's they should be fine outside for some periods during the day. Just keep an eye on them....If you are thinking of moving them to the coop full time, make sure you keep a heat lamp on them until they are fully feathered. About 6-7 weeks.

My brooder has been in my coop since day one heat lamp is still on up to 24 in soon they will be usingthe whole coop 12 x16 ft I still have to build nest box I am a first timer but have enjoyed BYC and learned alot Thank you all RACCOON

Quote:
If it's not windy and the sun is shining, then yes I would take them outside for a bit. You'll have to watch them constantly and watch for signs that they are getting chilled - peeping loudly, huddling, etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom