at what age can ducks start to swim

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jimmythechicken, Apr 1, 2011.

1. BelValleyDaisy

BelValleyDaisy Chirping

Oct 10, 2015
    UK
    I let mine begin swimming in water where they could touch the floor on day 2. As long as you are watching they'll be fine. Mummy ducks take their babies soon after hatching. Just make sure that afterwards you dry them off and cuddle them to keep them warm

1 person likes this.
  2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Songster

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Do you have a photo? So someone can help with breed. It should be fairly easy to tell if they are mallards
    There is one other breed that can look very similar to a mallard. But typically mallards have one full eye stripe, and they are a very tiny breed compared to the other( rouen) that looks similar

3. Taylorbrood

Taylorbrood Songster

Mar 26, 2017
    Hoquiam
    I do but they are on my dead cell phone currently they are just yellow with the white down coming through, they have beautiful blue eyes and huge feet, they have grown so fast that the chicks huddle with them, their beaks though are a pale pinkish color. I will post as soon as I get my phone up and running. seeing so many mixed reviews on what to feed them so they are on chick starter, I give them brocolli, cranberries and and egg and take them outside to root around for worms, but they love those disgusting slugs. I did notice today that the one is digging at her ear when they were swimming

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  4. ProviderEx

ProviderEx In the Brooder

Aug 27, 2014
    Two mallards showed up in my yard yesterday. no mama, no papa.
    I called fish and game and they said either put them in the lake up the road or raise them and release them.
    I told the lady, they will drown or get eaten and that I will raise them as mama/papa till they get a good bit of feathers going.
    they are a solid 3 days and I have a kiddy pool setup for them (fenced in)
    they have 1.5 inches of water. non medicated starter feed and a makeshift island to chill on.

one seems to love the water. stays in there for 10-20 minutes before coming out and it comes out because his sibling starts yelling at him.
    the other stays in the water for maybe 3-8 minutes and it gets out and starts preening. (or trying to)

They spent the night outside covering each other last night and woke up early to swim and eat crushed grapes.

but they are wild mallards and not yard ducks.

5. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    It is great you are helping them. Minimize your exposure to them. For their sakes you don't want them tame at all if you are going to release them.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would keep them in a predator-proof enclosure at night.

And make wild-type food available to them.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  7. Camey

Camey Hatching

Apr 29, 2017

8. BelValleyDaisy

BelValleyDaisy Chirping

Oct 10, 2015
    UK

These babies won't survive on their own. You need a heat lamp to keep them warm at night but pen them off outside. Make them forage for food etc and be aware of danger but you don't want them tame if you are releasing them. I would take them to a rehabilitation centre. Or keep them, raise them and let them stay as pets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: