1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age can I take my chicks out for a romp in their enclosed run?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by littleandlewis, Jun 9, 2011.

1. littleandlewis

littleandlewis Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    We have 7 chicks approx. 4 weeks of age. They have been in their coop with a heat lamp ( on and off depending on the weather) since we got them 3 weeks ago. There is a spacious enclosed run connected to coop that is gated off to them. Any reason why we can't let them out to get use to the run at this age? We would round them back and into the coop after their outing and play time.

Thanks for any input.

2. phoenix2011

phoenix2011 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Salem
    I have my 2 week olds out with me for short sessions on the grass now! they are so funny flapping their little "angel" wings and jumping around like they're popcorn! They will love it if you give them some "playpen" time!

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Mine are 3 and 4 weeks old. They are in the enclosed sandy run all day now. They go back and forth on their steps to the coop. They can not wait to get out of a morning and are the heck to get back in at nearly dark. Eventually they will learn to go in but it is hectic. The dels are no trouble they love to be on my feet and I just scope them up. The orps another story [​IMG] and the Br. are a hoot. [​IMG] They have learned what their sparsely feathered little wings are for. We do have a go round. [​IMG] Gloria jean

4. shadewolfo10

shadewolfo10 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    Taken my babies out since 1 week old! It starts with half an hour or so, and then gets longer! Now, at 4 and 5 weeks old they are perminatly outside, with out a heat lamp! Gotta love this Texas heat! [​IMG]

5. Lyon3mchics

Lyon3mchics Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Northern Michigan
    Send us some of that Texas heat. This morning we woke up to 49 degrees. I was glad I brought my little ones in!! What can I say about Northern Michigan weather...... Tuesday it was in the 90's today low 60's. The little ones only got to play outside for a few minutes. They'll be loud tonight.

6. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    I've been taking mine out with me since week 1. They've got a playpen that I move around every couple of days and they seem to really enjoy it! If I dare take them in before the sun goes down, they're really hard to catch, LOL!

7. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    When the weather is warm, I put them out in a protected area at 1-2 weeks and they do fine.

8. Peeps38655

Peeps38655 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Oxford, MS
    We have had our chicks outdoors for the past two weeks (since they were 2 weeks old) in a 9' x 12' screened patio tent. We have it secured all the way around with bricks so no day predators can get through it and it has a cover so no hawks can get them. They absolutely LOVE it. We put a large branch that came down in a recent storm in there and they love climbing/sitting on it. Inside the "day coop" are 4 easter eggers, 4 barred rocks, 2 silver laced wyandottes, 1 golden laced wyandotte, 2 white leghorns, 2 black australorps, 2 buff orpingtons (and 2 chocolate turkeys named thanksgiving & christmas).

9. MiddleChild

MiddleChild Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Eastern Massachusetts
    My broody hen hatched 5 fluffballs Sunday and Monday. She's in a coop that has a sheltered part and a part open to the weather. The weather has swung from the dry 90s to about 68 and raining. Mom and babies have been in and out throughout. Probably mom warms the babies if they get cold or wet, but it doesn't seem to stop them from trying out all sorts of temperatures.

10. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Having a mother hen to take care of chicks is sooooo much easier than doing the mothering yourself! Last year at this time, I had eight hatchery chicks. Those poor little rascals didn't really see much of the outdoors until they were four or so weeks old.

I live in Maine, and the weather is especially fickle this spring. Today, it was probably in the high 50's, and showery, and mother hen wanted out - "I have to be OUT! - NOW! - so, I caved in, hoping she knew what was right. Her eight chicks were fine. She took them in when the showers became too consistent; out they came when it let up. Scratch, scratch, scratch; worms for everyone! These chicks are way more physically developed and psychologically mature than the ones I raised! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by