At what age can you first determine gender for Bobwhites?

TRN79

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 1, 2010
I'll be getting week-old Bobwhites (30 of them) soon and will end up keeping 15 and selling the rest once I'm able to determine their genders.
My first question: around what age will I be able to tell which are male and which are female?
Second question: around what age will they outgrow the brooder? My brooder is a blue 35gal sterilite tote (32.5''L x 19.75''W x 18.63''H) with a hole in the side attached to a clear 105 qt sterilite tote (32.13" L x 19.13" W x 13.75" H) with wire on top of both. This is plenty of space for 30 little chicks but approximately how long will it be til they outgrow it and become overcrowded?
Thanks

Gender Will Be 14 -18 Wks Or So Of Age When The Males Color Out--- Males Will Have White Stripes On The Head/ Face Females Tan.

30 Week Old Chicks Wont Take Long To Out Grow 1 35 Gal Tote- These Are What I Use And I Routinely Drop Down To About 15 Or So At 1 Wk Of Age To Help Control Pecking (they Are Wicked Mean To Each Other) Red Lamps And Dark Environments Help Stave Off Pecking For A Short While, But Ultimately Bobs Will Be Bobs...

Oh Almost Forgot--- Lid! They Can Fly At 1-2wks Of Age And Will Do So
smile.png
So No Matter What You Place Them In Be Sure To Use A Lid And Be Ready To Get A Face Full Of Quail When You Open The Brooder.

Ps. Once Out Of The Brooder They Are Wicked Fast Lil Buggers! A Small Mesh Fish Net In A Very Nice Tool To Have Handy With These Lil Guys
smile.png
Also For What Its Worth, I Pinion Mine At About 3-4 Wks Of Age And That Tames Them Down Quite A Bit As Well As Helps To Retain Your Stock.

Yeah I learned the hard way at two weeks when one of mine flew out of the brooder and it took me an hour to catch it in my room. LOL. I only half lift the lid to keep them in and keep the water on the side I open and the light on the opposite end.

Quote:
Seriously!! I have some bobwhites that I hatched. It's comical how fast they are. I had one get out and thank God I had a fish net handy to go after the bugger, it's ridiculous how fast they are, don't underestimate them.

Quote:
Seriously!! I have some bobwhites that I hatched. It's comical how fast they are. I had one get out and thank God I had a fish net handy to go after the bugger, it's ridiculous how fast they are, don't underestimate them.

What's amazing is how they go from being the size of a big bumble bee to the size of a grown sparrow (and flying like one too).......in just a matter of 10-12 days!!!

Me And 1 Of The Labs Spent 20 Minutes Today Catching A 2 1/2 Wk Old That Popped Out Of The Brooder Out In The Hatchery This Afternoon While I Was Feeding..... I Understand Fully
smile.png
Like I Said Wicked Fast! A Good Dog Is Worth Its Weight In Gold At Times Like That... Especially If You're Alone And Have No Other Folks To Help.

Back
Top Bottom