At what age can you start to tell which are hens and which are roos?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by suenotto, Jun 3, 2012.

1. suenotto

suenotto In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Limeport
    I bought bantams from McMurray Hatchery. Their bantams only come straight run. Any experts out there can give me some idea of what to look for to tell which is which? At what age will it start to become noticable? I have seen some play fighting from the porcelain d'uccles in particular. Will hens also exhibit this behavior talons-up fighting behavior or only roos?

2. cary 1973

cary 1973 Songster

i sure hope so all 4 of my girls run at each other and act like there going to figh fluff up there feathers they play chicken with each other (where they run at each othere head on full speed ahead then at last min stop or they flap each other some times all 4 do it at the same time mine are at the age where i am 90% sure there all girls and i bought them sexed.

some signs from what i have read is the oh shoot for got what its called but the thing on its head between the eyes will turn red fast aslo so slow to grow feathers. thats about all i can help with i am new to this chicken thing

3. dracoe19

dracoe19 Songster

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    Hens will sometimes do this behavior as well. For the sexing it depends on the bird and the breed. I was able to tell what sex my wyandottes were at around 4 weeks. The main thing to look for is the color and size of their combs. You will probably get a rough idea around 2 weeks and hopefully know around 4. I have 2 wyandottes to show differences you can look for.

Cockerel because of the wattle development and the comb and wattles are flaming red.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pullet. With the compairison you can see she has much smaller wattles and if you saw her comb from strait on it has a little bit of black on it and it is very dull and small.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

4. suenotto

suenotto In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Limeport
    yep, it does help. The breeds that I am trying to sex are mille fleur d'uccle, porcelain d'uccle and quail d'anvers.

5. dracoe19

dracoe19 Songster

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    I hatched a few millies last year. Usually the boys stick out like a sore thumb which is always good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: