At what age can you 'wean' emu chicks?

Samantha Stevens

Chirping
May 20, 2021
Dorset, UK
We have 3 emu chicks

2 are a month old, one is 3 weeks

We're keeping them in our lounge at the moment, but if they're left in the room alone they get very distressed (apart from overnight, where they sleep through just fine)
It would be nice if we could both leave the room for short periods of time!

sooooooo:

Is it a matter of age, or do we have to train them?

If it is age, what age do they become less clingy?

If not, does anyone have any tips for training them?

Thanks,

For anyone else interested, as they're getting older they're getting more independent (luckily, as they're already getting too big for the house ;) )
We're also trying not to always respond to their 'cries' for training too. Seems to be working so far!

Attachments

• d6709d52466b62210f4111e564c80426.jpg
    d6709d52466b62210f4111e564c80426.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 32
'We're keeping them in our lounge at the moment' -- are they getting exercise? a month-old chick should have a football-field-sized area to run around in for an hour or two a day. I've seen a wild chick only three hours out of its shell cover a half a mile before sunset.

'If it is age, what age do they become less clingy?' -- in the wild, Dad usually gives them the boot at about nine or ten months (so he can find a mate for the next round of breeding). During those nine months, 'Dad Plus' is an inseparable unit. The cheepers cheep piteously if they get out of sight of Dad for more than seconds.
Over the months though, one is able to see the chicks developing their independence. One may see the chicks rush off all kra kra for a minute or two, quite forgetting about Dad, then rushing back.

But . . . is it possible you are making a rod for your back? I know nothing about imprinting. But if these chicks aren't interacting with other emus or other animals or other people, then maybe they think you are Dad.

SE

This is Tooshtoosh and the Gang of Five enjoying the autumn sunshine. The chicks are just on nine months, about five feet tall. Quite tame, as they have been under observation for the longest of any of the clutches, and that's because Tooshtoosh was injured when orphaned, and has been a bit of a home body.

Attachments

• 20210510_154214.jpg
    20210510_154214.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
'We're keeping them in our lounge at the moment' -- are they getting exercise? a month-old chick should have a football-field-sized area to run around in for an hour or two a day. I've seen a wild chick only three hours out of its shell cover a half a mile before sunset.

'If it is age, what age do they become less clingy?' -- in the wild, Dad usually gives them the boot at about nine or ten months (so he can find a mate for the next round of breeding). During those nine months, 'Dad Plus' is an inseparable unit. The cheepers cheep piteously if they get out of sight of Dad for more than seconds.
Over the months though, one is able to see the chicks developing their independence. One may see the chicks rush off all kra kra for a minute or two, quite forgetting about Dad, then rushing back.

But . . . is it possible you are making a rod for your back? I know nothing about imprinting. But if these chicks aren't interacting with other emus or other animals or other people, then maybe they think you are Dad.

SE

This is Tooshtoosh and the Gang of Five enjoying the autumn sunshine. The chicks are just on nine months, about five feet tall. Quite tame, as they have been under observation for the longest of any of the clutches, and that's because Tooshtoosh was injured when orphaned, and has been a bit of a home body.
Thanks for your concern! They have plenty of room to run, and free access to the space throughout the day. (Though a lot of their time is spent sleeping in a pile at my feet, because I work from home. ) I try to make sure they get plenty of exercise :)

We've had lots of visitors and they seem equally attached to my partner. They have great fun chasing the chickens and the peafowl around (not in an aggressive way, seems very playful... but the chickens don't know that, so I keep a close watch to make sure no-one is getting too stressed.) ~They also have a ceasefire with the cat.

They are getting bolder, and they're a lot easier to manage now than they were when I first posted. I was just worried they were going to be within 2 feet till tey were fully grown! ;)

Oh well that all seems good.

And your original question, Samantha? It's hilarious to watch Dad with the chicks during the first month or two. When not on the trail, the chicks swarm about his feet, and he has to stand stock still to not stand on them. But although what I said about 'inseparable unit' is indeed the case -- they sleep breast to breast in a little circle at night -- you can see that, month by month, the chicks get comfortable with being ten, twenty, forty yards away.

Please post a progress report later.

SE

Hi everyone,

Our chicks are now 3 months (and nearly 3 months) old. We gradually moved them to spending more time outside, only coming into the conservatory to sleep, as it was still pretty cold overnight here - Until last week. Now they are outside full time, sleeping in the fox-proof chicken run for safety.
hey adjusted to being outside pretty well. At every step it took them a day or 2 to get used to their new boundaries, but they now browse through the field as a unit most of the time, without crying for our attention.
When we do come outside (which is pretty regularly) they're happy to see us and hang around wherever we are. And they still LOVE cuddles. Very, Very cute!

We have a whole playlist of their antics, here's the latest video:

Attachments

• Emus july 2021.jpg
    Emus july 2021.jpg
    905.9 KB · Views: 24
'They now browse as a unit, without crying for attention' Nice data for me. Thanks.

They look really healthy.

Are you following their shift to black-head stage? Black head is my favourite.

SE

Back
Top Bottom