At what age do chicks need a roost?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Uncle Marc, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Uncle Marc

Uncle Marc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Poplar Grove Kentucky
    I just built a brooder box then realized it is too small for 20 chicks much beyond 2 weeks (4 x 2). I am now planning on moving them into the coop soon after that (with a heat source- it will be below freezing). But I don't know if they can stay on the floor or when they will need to roost. What say ye peeps?

2. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    When my babies were 2 weeks,
    we used small twigs from corner to
    corner in the brooder.

3. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Mine used one right after the first week, when they were able to hop up on it, they used their ecoglow as a roost-

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I give my chicks a little "starter" roost that is only a 2x2 by about 6 feet long, and only 4" off the ground. They love it. I've had pullets take to the roost much faster after employing this little practice roost in the brooder. The practice roost isn't permanently attached, it is free standing on a little base of plywood.

5. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    I put a limb from corner to corner of the pen at about 2 weeks. They knew just what to do.Now they are 4 weeks, outside, and the roosts are even higher, and they love it!

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    I bought a wooden yardstick in the paint section at a local big-box store, then passed it through the wire dog cage I was using, flat side up. The chicks used it right away, on day 2. It started about 1 inch above the floor, and I moved it up every so often.

7. KFaye

KFaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    My chicks are a week old and roosting on a low stick. Will keep moving it up a few days at a time. If they don't seem to want it will lower stick for a short time. They are so funny on the roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by