1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age do hens STOP laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silkiechick05, Dec 24, 2009.

1. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    ???????????

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    As far as I know, hens never STOP like forever -- they just lay fewer eggs as they get older. And the eggs they lay are larger.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Depends on the breed, the conditions she lives in, her age, her general health, etc. There is no set time. I do think, in general, she will begin to slow down toward the beginning of the second year of life, but will continue laying for years to come, if she is well. I have some who are four years old and though they have eased off some, they still lay several eggs a week when not molting. Someone here had a hen up in her teens (17, I think, when she died) who still laid an egg every so often.

4. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

most of my chickens lay consistently until around 4 or 5.... Then I often see a steep drop off in egg production. Even the old gals lay sometimes. A very old Speckled Sussex that I am not sure of the age of (I estimate her to be between 7 and 10 years old) because someone dumped her in my yard, layed very well until this year. Almost daily! What a chicken! I would be curious if any other sussex owners have birds that laid a long time like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by