At what age do I switch?

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
I'm getting four new chicks this weekend, and I'm going to be feeding them chick starter. I already have three adult chickens (they are 4 years old), who get layer feed. The last time I had chicks was 4 years ago, and I can't remember when I switched from chick starter to layer feed! Do I switch when they start laying eggs? Or when they get to a certain age?
Also, these chicks are going to grow up in the coop (they are being raised by my broody hen), so when they get older, how do I make sure the chicks are eating the right feed?
Thanks!

Chickens shouldn't have layer feed unless they are laying. Since the chicks are going to be in the coop with your hens, the easiest thing would be switch everybody to flock raiser or a starter/grower since your chicks can be hurt by the extra calcium in layer feed. Your hens will be fine as long as you provide oyster shells.

Lots of folks keep their chickens on flock raiser or grower feeder all the time if they have roosters or older hens that don't lay to avoid the issue of excess calcium causing issues.

I’ve done some reading on this, too, since I have two birds that are 14 weeks and two that are 5 weeks. It sounds like keeping all birds on chick feed is completely acceptable. I’ve seen some posts where people suggest keeping everyone on chick feed for life and then providing supplemental grit and calcium for those that need it. We will obviously be on chick feed for quite a while but I may be taking the advice I’ve read and keeping them on it for life.

Back
Top Bottom