At what age do I wean Columbidae and other species?

FrostyWind

Songster
Jun 12, 2016
Those 3 eggs I had before, well only 2 hatched (hatched on Sep 10). Right now they can fly and are already almost the size of their species.
That syringe I bought was awesome, it was perfect, it was just the right size to go into 3 day old babies. I recommend people buy that sort of syringe, they give 3 tubes which I guess is used for all sizes of Columbidae and other species babies.
ANYWAYS! Thats not what I came here for...
I came here to ask, When do I wean them? They hate the syringe going into their mouths now, and they refuse to drink or slurp from another syringe that I cut and covered it with babies bottle nipple or whatever you call that rubber thing that human babies put their mouths on. Its big enough to fit their beaks in and slurp up the formula but they refuse to slurp or drink the formula in that as well...
What do I do? Continue to force the syringe tube down their throats so they can receive the kaytee formula? Or just starve them till they start pecking at millets and other small grains? Also they've already started to peck seeds and dirt and other grains I provided for them, They ate 5 or 6 but they ususally just fly to my hand and try to fit their beaks in between my fingers?
I don't understand, if they don't like the two options which I think the 2nd option is better since they actually must use their beaks to slurp the kaytee formula? Then what must I do....

Oh also I've been doing research on Doves and Pigeons sizes(well ever since years ago), so it all depends on the species and how large or small they get... For Victoria crown pigeons and Nicobar pigeons and most likely Pheasant pigeons, they take about a couple months or 2 to stop being dependent on their parents and reach almost the size of their parents. And for the other pigeon and dove sizes that we're accustom seeing around the yard, neighbourhood, city or even have them as pets like Racing pigeons, and Ringneck doves<< they only take 2 or 3 weeks to reach almost the size of their species. BUT!! I don't know if this also goes for smaller dove species like what I have right now (Ruddy ground doves chicks) and also species like the small fruit dove, or the common ground dove etc?
My two chicks are almost the size of their species all they are lacking is the color of their species. They are 1 week and 6 days old and flying sorta well, well actually amazing for their age.
It seems to me they want to start eating on their own but they are frequently always begging and pushing their beaks into anything thats moving?
Uh any help?

Maybe should have let the parent birds rear them and not gone a robbed eggs from wild bird nests?

I don't know what your obsession about stealing young doves from the wild is when you can easily buy pigeons and captive bred doves.

Have you kept a count of how many of the birds you stole slowly died from your lack of care?

And at less then 2 weeks they are not adult and not ready for weaning.... you have not even done any research to be so ignorant about your birds.

Shame on you.

XD Well this is why i come here; I couldn't find any information on stuff I wanted so I come here and make a Thread on the information I need from Experience people... I make these threads/post because I couldn't find them on the internet (Unless I'm not looking properly) But BYC has almost the best source of everything you need to know about Poultry and other Birds.
"Maybe should have let the parent birds rear them and not gone a robbed eggs from wild bird nests?"
Well taking them as eggs worked out real well cause, They hatched on 14th Sept 2017 and are currently right next to me doing find, already big but still squeaking and still lacking their Species plumage (which is now starting to show up 'Awesome').
"I don't know what your obsession about stealing young doves from the wild is when you can easily buy pigeons and captive bred doves."
I love birds, I'm obsess with Medium size birds like: "Chickens, Pigeons, Doves, Egrets, Herons, All sorts of Birds of Prey etc" birds like Chickens (Pft they can purchase anywhere), herons(Definitely will not plan on getting them<<I just drew an example on medium size birds), and birds of prey(They are awesome raptors, but I'm not ready to deal with birds of their size (and I wouldn't steal them neither I'm being Honest...)) But I did own 3 owls before,(They went missing) where strangers captured them and tortured them till death and had the Nerve to come to tell my family about what they did... But that was a long time ago...
Anyways Ik pigeons can easily be purchase <<<Its just one species selling over and over and over again... the same goes with RINGNECK doves... its the same species selling over and over again<<whether they are sold albino, pied or carrying some awesome mutation like the Frost type ringneck dove plumage.

"Have you kept a count of how many of the birds you stole slowly died from your lack of care?"
Ofc I did, But the numbers might cause some uproar or madness to come here in this thread, or My account might be taken down. But still feel like sharing them though even though the Penalties that might arose here(Eh).The number 6.
"And at less then 2 weeks they are not adult and not ready for weaning.... you have not even done any research to be so ignorant about your birds. "
I've done lots of research but it was always about bigger doves like Ringnecks but nothing smaller like Diamond doves or any small type doves (Unless I didn't research as good as I though I did). I will give myself a tap on the back for passing this, But right now I'm still giving them the formula only once a day and I've been putting seeds in their mouths and they've already start pecking and swallowing 6 or 5 of them on their own without my help but they still run back to beg so I let them follow my Ringneck doves to get them to start eating seeds and other things that people give doves and pigeons to eat. They're still doing pretty good.
"Shame on you."
NO
I don't feel guilty though, I'm starting to do pretty good actually, so more deaths for any type of birds from now. Except if they manage to catch some sort of Disease that both Wild and Domestic birds catches then I can't do anything for them unless I do research on the disease or sickness and try help them as best I could Then.

But I would still depend on BYC for any Help I need in the future or near future or tomorrow or even the next minute.

Back
Top Bottom