At what age do roos have to be separated?

dustbath

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Washington County, NY
I'm planning to expand my flock this spring. I already have 2 roos and can't add more. How long will I have before the old roos will start attacking any roo chicks, or the roo chicks start fighting?

Thanks!

Some roos always get along, some roos never get along with another roo. They're individuals, some breeds tend mellower but that is not a guarantee of any individual.

And spats aren't like "fights", any two or more cockerals or roos will strike one another, hop and spat. Fights are when animals do one another HARM. I have three roos and no fights.

Some groups work, some don't. You just sort of have to "see" as they all merge together. Some roos are trouble from the day they're born. Some weird out around 4-6 months and some don't get cranky until near a year.

Keeping a Roo who fights or wants to all the time isn't my thing, they're very disruptive to the group as a whole, they never seem to settle. So combative animals are soup around here. Then again I don't keep breeds known for their game origins or with a high aggression.

Is this just chick behavior or do chicks as young as 2 1/2 weeks already start having rooster behavior? I have 3 out of 27 that walk real tall and they flap their wings and chest butt each other. Perhaps it is just chick stuff but, one of them definitely has a pink large comb for its age.

At that age I've had very determined girls do it, but it's far more often the little cockerals that act like that, yes.

But there is the odd bad... little girl in that group now and then. I've had two hens start like that at that age and go on to whoop some serious rooster behind until they managed to grow up and man up enough to put them in line.

So while a good indicator it's no guarantee.

Almost all my roos get along and I have 9 in one cage with 9 hens the only roo thats mean and I really wish Id rather get rid of is a red silkie.

andisgarden, most of the above is true. I have to throw in my 2 cents. I breed gamefowl and if any youngsters are gonna start trouble, gamefowl will.

To begin with. Most mature cocks will not harm chicks. Hens are the ones that give chicks a hard time. I usually pen all my chicks after they are weened, with a mature cock. At about 5 months of age, I take out all the pullets and leave the boys to be policed by the cock. The idea is, if anyone is gonna whip butt, it`s gonna be the cock. At about 8-10 months, the boys "turn on" and I start moving the trouble makers to solitary confinement. Your barnyard types will seldom need this radical confinement. So this is just a little trivia for you to ponder.

I also breed Asils. They are extremely hard to raise as they often engage in mortal combat before they are fully feathered. They break wings, legs, and even necks resulting in death and seem to know when you aren`t home to start these battles. The girls fight as bad as the boys.

Again, barnyard types seldom have more than we call "chick fights" which are mostly play. The only reason I`m telling you all this is so you see how minimum the "fights" are in your yard. At 2 1/2 weeks your girls are as rough as the boys. Have fun with them and don`t take them to seriously unless things get really rough.

Thanks I will just keep watching.. I never realized how much fun I would have watching these little ones. I can come home from a 13+ day at the hospital and the first thing I do is go check the brooder. It is my therapy LOL it seems to calm me.

I am going to recommend it to some of my stressed class mates.. GET CHICKS it will calm you down.
smile.png
Albeit a lot of work, it is somehow worth it.

We moved these little ones to a large appliance box with the light at one end and I gored holes in the sides and slid a fat branch in the end for a roost and they are using it at only 2 weeks.. SO CUTE

That's all very helpful! I'll just see how it goes.

My two hens fight visciously if they are together, causing real bodily harm. I haven't let the roosters be together, as they do get into it and I've assumed they will hurt each other.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom