At what age do they start roosting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Raelyn, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Raelyn

Raelyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Central North Carolina
    My chicks just turned 15 weeks. They have a cozy coop that they come into every night, however they still sleep in a pile on the floor. [​IMG]

I built a nice roost for them, even taught them how to jump up there. I even tried putting them up there one by one after dark and they just jumped down and slept on the floor.

They do sit up there some during the day so I know they're not afraid to be up there, I just can't get them to sleep up there.

Whats up? Are they still too young?

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

They might just not like to roost.[​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have had chickens 2 and 3 months old that still don't want to roost. Not unusual.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They will roost when they want to roost. *I* think they practice during the day because it takes skill and confidence to balance on a roost bar at night whilst asleep.

The only chickens I have seen roost earlier than 16 weeks were those raised by broody hens which hatched 'em. She gives them the push, the confidence, and the desire to roost when she roosts at night and they want to be up there with her.

The other chicks eventually "got it" and were confident enough to roost at night; I don't have any adult ground sleepers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by