At What Age Do You Feed Chicks veggies?

At what age do I start feeding my chicks veggies?

• 1 week old

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 2 weeks old

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 weeks old

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 weeks old

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 5 weeks old

• 6 weeks old

• 7 weeks old

• 8 weeks old

• 9 weeks old

• 10 weeks old

• 11 weeks and above

• Total voters

andrew3waz

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
Okay so I have gotten many different responses on what age I should start feeding my chicks veggies. So I would like to hear as many different opinions as possible and I know once I start feeding them veggies I need to start giving them grit. So at what age do I start feeding them veggies?

I start mine at eight weeks and just let them forage from their hatching. As for the grit, I don't know what your landscape is like so I don't now for sure, but for where I live we don't worry about that since our fowl just find small pebbles.

HS Pye

My broody raised chicks get access to the kitchen scraps as soon as they're off the nest. My chicks are raised in the flock, so momma just gets in there and shows the babies what's good to eat when I toss stuff in the run.

Our broody-raised started eating veggies as soon as Momma brought them out of the nest. These are our first broodies but I second what donrae said that Mom will teach the chicks what to eat. I've even seen Momma Bea break up big chunks and beak-feeding the chicks. Momma knows best most often.

Sorry, A broody hen usually keeps everyone on the nest for the first 48 hours or so, after that they're off and out and about. That's what I consider off the nest, just while she waits those first day or two for any stragglers to hatch.

Veggies : I would give grit at around 4 weeks, and at the same time, start giving them veggies. Just small amounts, like a little head of broccoli for them to test out, or maybe some grass and such.

Broody : Totally depends. Some abandon the chicks at 3 weeks and they require supplemental care, some are mothers that take it wayyyyy too far. Look at the record broody thread, there was a hen Bertha who stayed with 18 week old chicks and tried to sleep on them all.
gig.gif
Generally speaking, a broody will start distancing herself at 4-6 weeks and then abandon the chicks by 8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom