At what age do you start feeding layer feed?

At what age should I start giving my chicks layer feed?
If you look on the bag it probably says 18 weeks. I would not do that, the 18 weeks is based on the commercial operations who control when their chickens start to lay by breeding and especially by controlling lights. We don't manage them that way.

I suggest waiting at least until you see an egg. How much will that hurt the ones not laying if they are practically grown? Good question, I don't know. There are plenty of studies that show growing chicks can be harmed by the amount of calcium in Layer but a lot less is known about the effects in grown chickens. The people that pay for these studies are the commercial operations so they study their conditions. I'm not going to pay for one of those studies out of my pocket.

I practically always have growing chicks in my flock so I never feed Layer and avoid all this worry. I feed everyone the same thing, a Starter or Grower based on the chicks' ages, and offer oyster shell on the side. The ones that need it for the egg shells seem to know it and eat it. The others may eat some but not enough to harm themselves. I let them do all the work and make the decisions so I don't have to worry about it.

So I was looking for All-flock and I can only find pellet by the brand I am using would they be okay with that or should I stick to crumble

Add me to the list of persons using All Flock and free choice oyster shell. You can see my flock below in my signature - given the varied breeds, ages, and genders, its the only practical solution. Though I now blend my own from products available from the local mill, resulting in a less than perfect solution (at a cost I can live with) and some risk/reward balancing I'm still watching closely.

I'd also caution strict adherence to a calendar where chickens are involved. Things like when they begin to lay are best expressed as ranges, averages, and vary by breeds. Sure, most of my Comets (a Red Sex Link type) were laying by week 18, and my Rainbows around week 20-21, but my Dark Brahma didn't start until after seven months, and my CornishX were "late" to lay as well. Even then, there was plenty of variation between individuals, though they were bought at the same time, from the same hatchings.

Observation is the best way to know what's going on with your flock - everything else is just good guesstimates.

I think that is the most practical way to go. While one may only have layers today, that can change at any moment.
And layers can become non-layers temporarily, too - like when molting, or sick, etc. Their calcium needs change, so it's best to leave it up to them to decide how much they need at any given moment.

Back
Top Bottom