At what age.. will finding the roosters... be easier?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by timp123, Jun 25, 2010.

1. timp123

timp123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Georgetown, Indiana
    I've got 13 Chickens.. and I'm just wondering.. since I am so new to this.. which ones are the roosters? I don't recall their age.. I'm guess 4 months old, maybe a little older.. regarding the Roo's, should I look for a wallet chain [​IMG] or??

Seriously though.. sorry for such a Newb question... but I only want one roo... and I am getting curious how many I really have.

Thanks!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Pictures would be helpful, but at 4 months it should be getting a little obvious who's who [​IMG]

You should be getting crowers any day now....

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Big wattles and combs, their rbehavior and crowing. Even as chicks roos often make themselves apparent by standing taller and acting diffeerent than the pullet chicks. I thought my first roos chick was a mental defective, no he was just a he. [​IMG]

4. timp123

timp123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Georgetown, Indiana
    Quote:I'll take some pics! And no worries... I knew.. I would be attacked (in good fun, of course) for this one.. LOL

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You could post pics of some of them -- not in this section, but over in the "what gender or breed am I?" section of the BYC forum -- and people could tell you what they are, they're old enough it should be fairly clear.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. dee88

dee88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    I'm new to this too but I've heard the spurs on the back of their legs mean they are roosters. I'm not sure when the spurs develope. I'm wondering if any of my 5 chickens are roosters, too! No spurs yet but they're only 2 mos. old...[​IMG]

7. surfchicken72

surfchicken72 Chillin' With My Peeps

I could tell by three weeks, thanks to BYC forum, and posting pics, of course........ at 4 1/2 weeks THERE IS NO DOUBT anymore..
    it will be sad when we have to let him go, as he is the most charming of the lot.(6) which apparently is usually
    the case....

But a pic or 2 will definitely help.

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

The first sign I look for is the top tailfeather starts curling down over the other tailfeathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by