At what age would the chicks enjoy some "outside" time?

Kelly G

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Tampa (Wesley Chapel), Florida
My Coop
My Coop
We live in central Florida. My nursery coop is fenced in with 1/2" hardware cloth from top to bottom (affixed to an exterior dog run kennel). Sixteen of my chicks are 2.5 weeks old, twelve of them are 1.5 weeks old. Our temps are in the 80s during the day - the brooder is at 82F (going down about 1 degree every 3 days).

My question is - when will my chicks be interested in some outside time? I would only allow them outside while I was there - but it's SO gorgeous out I can't believe they wouldn't enjoy being out....but I don't want to rush things!

Thanks!

I think they would like some outside time starting today, I get mine out as soon as the temps allow it, if they dont act chilled let them stay out and stretch thier wings(or what they think are wings) first time in the wide open space is always fun(for them and us)

I agree with marlinchaser. My chicks were out at 2 weeks when the temps. were warm and it wasn't windy.
I gave them constant supervision when they were babies and less and less as they grew.

As soon as it's warm enough with little to no breeze so that they stay comfortable.

A couple of words of warning though. Don't forget them once it starts to cool off. I put some of my chicks out last year and got busy doing stuff and then forgot them until after the sun went down. I lost a little Polish that way.

Also, be sure they are in a safe place and away from any cats or dogs. I also pulled another boner a couple of years ago when I let my Beagle out to run around while I did some stuff outside in the yard and then mowed the lawn. It wasn't a good feeling to see Buck come running down the hill with his jowls puffed out and two little feet dangling out the front of his mouth. It was a worse feeling to go check the chicks and find every single one of them dead.

Btw, I have Buck in with all my birds on a permanent basis but I guess all those little chicks flittering around was just too much for his instincts to take and he pounded on them. I really don't think he meant to kill them but was probably just trying to get them to sit still.

So anyways, those are a couple of things to watch out for.

God Bless,

I just took my 10 day old and 5 day old chicks out today, it was in the high 70's, I couldn't resist!

They had so much fun, and when they'd get spooked they'd all jump up on my leg! Finally! They love me!!

Well....I didn't let mine out today as I wasn't able to check this thread until tonight - but I will let them out tomorrow! I can't wait!!!! It was so beautiful out today - a perfect day may most standards: 82F, sunny, a few white puffy clouds - and my family!

I can't wait for tomorrow to let them enjoy some time outside!

PS...I will be careful - we don't have any dogs there, and our perimeter is fenced by chain link fencing, but their run is a 6 foot tall dog run that (yesterday) I lined the inside with 1/2" hardware cloth. Here is a picture of their enclosure when it had my 5 Barred Rock hens in it - but before I put up the hardware cloth:

DSC_0028Large.jpg

Back
Top Bottom