At what stage

Tilly

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 19, 2008
Hi I have 8 good eggs under a hen at the moment also 2 maybes they are bantams just mixed breeding although the hen is a frizzle
smile.png
although it wasnt planned im excited as the roo and hen are chooks I have bred myself.
I know they are due to hatch within the next 6 days sometime. They were candled last night and the air sac takes up about 1/4 of the egg. They rest is chick and veins. Except on the 2 maybes there is no veins. Does this give any indication of how many more days to go (yes im impatient
big_smile.png
)

Cheers

Thanks very much for the link!!

Looks like they are around 18 days then.

Do the veins stay easily visible right up until they hatch or not. How long after the veins disappear (if they do at all) till chicks arrive?

veins won't really go away, i don't think. 21 days is how long it takes for a chicken egg to hatch.

YOU CAN NOW STOP TURNING THE EGGS IF THEY ARE AT DAY 18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ya.gif

Good luck! You should be getting some pips tomorrow or later.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
In the final days the veins become less visible because the chick fills the egg. When I candle at day 18 all I see is the chick (black mass filling the egg) and the air cell. You can barely see movement at the end as well because they are pretty crammed in there.

Jody

Thanks for the replies
smile.png

I can still see veins but the air sac looks around day 18. They are actually under a mummy hen so didnt wait to see movement just quickly checked to make sure they were growing then wanted to get them straight back to her. Either way they are due in the next 6 days. They are fine under mum im just impatient lol
Thanks again

Quote:
A little tip, my chickies (obviously) are all banties, and so far with incubating (as well as one of my broodies) they have hatched 2-3 days early. This may be why it looks like it os on day 18, when you think it is on day 15.

Back
Top Bottom