1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what temp. do your chickens stop laying

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by foothillsfiber, Jul 20, 2013.

1. foothillsfiber

foothillsfiber Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    It has been around 90 here and mine have totally stopped, as in from 8-12 to none they range in age from 1 yr 7 mo, to 1 yr and some 6 mo. I am assuming it is the heat as nothing else has changed. they free range and i thought they might be laying somewhere else so i penned them up for a week and nothing changed. i just started get a egg or too from my ee's that are 1 yr.
    so at what temp do you see a decline.

2. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Your hens are probably going through there molt which is usually around the age 18 months.

3. paddy3309

paddy3309 New Egg

Apr 28, 2013
    Sandown NH
    We just purchased a new coop, we had them in a make shift pen .we noticed that they or some of the perfer under neath the coop and one of them is in the coop should we wait to put them in the coop or do we wait and let them go in it them selves?

4. AKchicken1

AKchicken1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2012
    Fairbanks, AK
    Wait until they go to the roost for the night and move them in one by one. Or just put food or treats in there, they'll go.

5. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    When mine turned 18 months it was last December and they went into their first molt. The moly combined with the short days....well, needless to say they didn't lay an egg for 3 months.[​IMG]
    This past week the temps here in my part of NJ have been in the high 90's....out of the 5 chickens , I was getting 2 to 5 eggs a day.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  6. paddy3309

paddy3309 New Egg

Apr 28, 2013
    Sandown NH

7. paddy3309

paddy3309 New Egg

Apr 28, 2013
    Sandown NH
    Good news they are in the coop and some are preparing their nest getting excited about our first eggs will let you know when we get them if anyone can give me a hint of when yo expect or have a hint of wjen to expect eggs please let me know!!!

8. paddy3309

paddy3309 New Egg

Apr 28, 2013
    Sandown NH
    We have eggs yaaay!!!

9. wildrooster1

wildrooster1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    Oklahoma
    congrads on the eggs,its a wonderful sight to see all those pretty eggs in the coop.

WildRooster1

1 person likes this.
  10. AKchicken1

AKchicken1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2012
    Fairbanks, AK
    Our br and bsl hens lay through ambient temps of 50 below up to 98 above. We've seen a lot of this summer in the upper 80s and into the 90s with no apparent decline in production. Lots of shade and water available though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by