At what temp will eggs die?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marauder, Aug 10, 2008.

1. marauder

marauder New Egg

Aug 10, 2008
    Sylacauga Alabama
    Light bulb blowed (blew?) on my homemade ice chest incubator. And the temp droped to 86' F for a few hours
    on 2 week old duck eggs. Never learned/tried to candle eggs. I guess I need to learn how. Do you think they are still alive? I'm going to keep turning them till day 25 and hope they hatch.

That light bulb had been a good one. It had been on for the last 5 months flashing on and off ever few minutes.

As soon as the incubator becomes empty again, I'm going to add another light socket, So they will be 2 bulbs. Just in case one blowes again.

Thanks, This was my first post here.

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    They will mosy likely be fine, the mother gets off her eggs at least once every day. They will be ok [​IMG]

3. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    oh and [​IMG]

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I have heard of eggs surviving more than 18 hours, during a power outage, with no heat.

You may lose a few and the hatch may be delayed a good day, but I would keep going and expect a hatch.

Matt

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    They might still be ok. I've been told eggs can get down to 90F and still incubate and it takes awhile after a temp drop before the embryo starts to cool.

5 months of blinking on and off seems kinda hard for a light bulb. I'd probably replace it every hatch or 2 so no more than 2months. A $5 bulb is worth it to not lose an entire hatch.

6. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    i think ur ok. good luck and [​IMG]

7. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I agree, I doubt if you will notice any affect on the hatch. I had a 12 hr power outage on pipped call duck eggs and hatched 12 out of 15 so don't worry!

8. marauder

marauder New Egg

Aug 10, 2008
    Sylacauga Alabama
    I still had a good hatch. Here are some pics of the ducks and my homemade bator.

[​IMG]

They think its feeding time and everyone comes a running

[​IMG]
    damn kids set on it and broke the window

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry about all the pics just learned how to post pics with a cheap digital camera

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by