At what temperature should you put vaseline on comb and wattle

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bleith, Oct 27, 2011.

1. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    is therer a recommended temp to consider when putting vaseline or something on comb to prevent frostbite?

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I've never done this . Not sure if I would. I've read the vaseline gets awfully dirty. Last winter my hens which have big combs & wattles did fine it was my big honkin roo that got some frost bite. My understanding is to try & keep the moisture down in the coop. Not sure on how you accomplish that but hopefully someone can guide us. I had readings of 19 degrees in my coop last winter & as mentioned my roo had very little frost bite but like you I'd much rather try & protect him this winter if posssible.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I also have never done this. It would get filthy quickly. I imagine, since our temps go down to -25F with regularity, I'd not do until those nights occur in Jan or Feb. Still, the effort and the mess on dozens of birds, I don't know.

4. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I was told by the poultry expert at UCONN that some frostbite can occur when temps are 20 - 30 degrees F. And below 20 degrees F you should put Vaseline on the combs and waddles. I would rather have dirty combs and waddles than frostbite, IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Good point!!! Guess this year hopefully it won't get that cold , I'll oil my ROOS waddles & comb. He's [​IMG]got some big ones.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Well, I've never had frostbitten combs or wattles at sub-zero temps. Frostbite seems to be much more a matter of excess humidity than simply temperatures.

7. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    None of the hens have ever had frostbite, but my roo did end up losing the tips of his comb last winter. It was only maybe a centimeter that turned black.

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    It is the wind in the cold that does it the most. All of my chickens like going out in the winter. If you don't glop it on, it doesn't get that dirty and you protect them from their comb falling off. Which sucks, I had that happen and now I use it on all my large combed birds

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  9. ZoeZoo

ZoeZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    I've heard anywhere from the first frost - first snow.

It also depends where you're from. If you're in canada (such as I), the winters are obviously going to be colder than in most of the US. Just a thought. We all have a different definition of "cold"

10. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never heard of this trick before but I might try it on my boy this winter. He's only 3-4 months old and already getting nice sized combs and wattles. I don't want him to lose them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by