at what temperature would you put vasline on their combs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sunflowerenvy, Oct 3, 2010.

1. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    To night we are going down to 32degree for about 6 hrs. we have a frost warning. i am not heating the coop/ i have leghorns and barred rock, Australorp comps should i should vasline their combs

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I don't believe you'll need to do so. Especially if your coop has plenty of ventilation at the top, so warm, moist air can escape. But it DOES need to be draft-free!

3. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    You won't need too. I don't even close the window on my coop for 32 degrees!

4. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    [​IMG] I never have. I probably wouldn't even think about it until it was in the negative digits. And then, if it did - I have 100+ chickens, so I'm not even sure how I would get it done in a reasonable amount of timewhile doing all of the regular really cold weather chores (extra feedings, watering, etc). It's gotten pretty cold here before (teens w/bad wind chill, single digits) and everyone has always been fine.

5. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    good no extra work for me except i will shut the 2 windows i have vents in eve all the way down the both side of the build on the top i have a vent cap on the length of the building too. i have the 1 gallon water inside the coop i will bring the 3 gallon plastic water in the house for the night and bring it out when i open the coop door in morning thanks
    laura too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by