At wits end with biting chickens...

:eek: That is an amazing space for 3 birds!!!

So space is NOT the issue. It's likely the hormones, new to laying and feeling grumpy.

Give her a few months and I bet she chills out.
That's really nice of you to say 😭

I've been very critical of how we're keeping them since we can't free-range. Didn't realize how active and busy chickens are, but they've been doing really well in this setup.

I'll work on avoiding her triggers while we get through the winter, and hopefully I'll have my sweet Pepper back on the other side. Just in time to integrate a few chicks and stress her out all over again! 😅

That's really nice of you to say 😭

I've been very critical of how we're keeping them since we can't free-range. Didn't realize how active and busy chickens are, but they've been doing really well in this setup.

I'll work on avoiding her triggers while we get through the winter, and hopefully I'll have my sweet Pepper back on the other side. Just in time to integrate a few chicks and stress her out all over again! 😅

With any luck she will go broody and can raise the chicks for you! :thumbsup
That would be ideal since she would protect them from the other 2 and no integration needed.

I have 3 six-month old chickens (Ginger - Golden Comet, Pepper & Mushroom - Black Australorps).

Ginger has always been a biter. Not in a mean way, but more exploratory/treat related. I've followed the advice on this forum, but can't seem to break her of it. She's behaved this way before and after laying eggs.

Pepper has had a slight aggression issue with rakes/poop scoops. Once in a while she'll get wound up and start posturing/attacking while I'm cleaning up. It mostly happens if I nudge her with the rake in an attempt to move her (as you know, they're constantly underfoot). I've also had issues where I've needed to work in their run, and Pepper will be RIGHT THERE trying to nip at me and whatever I'm doing. I'll gently nudge her away, and she starts posturing to fight. I peck her on the back/head, and while she initially runs away, she comes right back to continue the confrontation.

This all came to a head today. Ginger bit my leg, so I immediately started to correct her with back pecks. Pepper did not like that, and flew at me like a freaking rooster. Bit my hand and drew blood. I tried to pin her down, but she would NOT submit so I backed off rather than risk hurting her. I will add that she just started laying eggs 2 days ago.

I feel like total crap. Pepper is sweet 95% of the time, and even enjoys being pet on the belly. I don't know what else to do. Any advice, criticism, or "that happened to me too"s are appreciated.
I don't have biting hens, but I have 2 roosters occasionally bite me. I say occasionally cuz they don't try for me much since I started spraying their heads with cold water. I wouldn't do it when it's cold out, but the rest of the year I suggest trying cold water loaded in a spray bottle or water gun. The back/head pecking, doing the whole dominant push-down/pin thing, walking through them, none of that crap worked. A lot of info given on here doesn't seem to work for me. Not sayin it's bad advice, it just doesn't work on my chickens. You just gotta think outside the box and find a solution that works with your flock's personalities. 😊

With any luck she will go broody and can raise the chicks for you! :thumbsup
That would be ideal since she would protect them from the other 2 and no integration needed.
She'll protect them from me! :lau

It's something to consider, for sure. Chicks in the house are fun until they're screaming at 11pm because the lighting isn't juuuuust right.

I don't have biting hens, but I have 2 roosters occasionally bite me. I say occasionally cuz they don't try for me much since I started spraying their heads with cold water. I wouldn't do it when it's cold out, but the rest of the year I suggest trying cold water loaded in a spray bottle or water gun. The back/head pecking, doing the whole dominant push-down/pin thing, walking through them, none of that crap worked. A lot of info given on here doesn't seem to work for me. Not sayin it's bad advice, it just doesn't work on my chickens. You just gotta think outside the box and find a solution that works with your flock's personalities. 😊
I am loading up that spray bottle for spring! The pecking back works on the other two, but I didn't expect one of my "there's-not-a-mean-bone-in-their-body" Australorps to go all Fight Club on me.

I am loading up that spray bottle for spring! The pecking back works on the other two, but I didn't expect one of my "there's-not-a-mean-bone-in-their-body" Australorps to go all Fight Club on me.
It sounds like they're also in their hormonal teenage girl phase. They should calm down once their hormones settle a bit, but just incase, keep the spray bottle at your belt. 😂

Stop 'cuddling' them.

Stop hand feeding....or even giving treats all together.
I couldn’t hand feed if I wanted to… I’d end up with a bloody stump.

But I believe I get your point: I’m risking bad behavior through familiarity? I’d have to rethink my goals for chicken keeping. I certainly don’t need to pet them, but the treats (they’re not really treats, just different chicken foods) give them variety in an otherwise limiting environment.

Back
Top Bottom