Attached run question

odysseychicken

Chirping
Jul 21, 2015
For those of you who have an attached run do you still secure the birds in their coop at night? I have built a 4x4 coop and am attaching a decent size run to it. I was going to construct an automatic door with a used car antenna to open the door in the morning and close it at night. I am wondering if I need to worry about securing this door if it is only accessed through the run, which itself will be secure. I like the idea that the birds can go in and out as they like. It would also alleviate any worry that my automatic door opener has failed if I am out of town for a weekend.

I would still want to reduce draft. I have seen doors with those plastic curtain strips hanging over them that the chickens can just walk through. I was also wondering if a doggie door would work or will the birds not be able to figure it out?

Thanks

I have an all-in-one type covered coop with run. The entire structure is predator proof, so I leave their coop door open and they come and go as they please. But, do make sure your run is absolutely predator proof for this to work.

I don't think they are strong enough to push thru a doggie door, but think the plastic "curtain" should work well.

Thanks for the response. I think I am going to go the same route you did. I may go ahead and install the door while I am building the coop just in case I ever feel the need to use it.

For those of you who have an attached run do you still secure the birds in their coop at night?  I have built a 4x4 coop and am attaching a decent size run to it.  I was going to construct an automatic door with a used car antenna to open the door in the morning and close it at night.  I am wondering if I need to worry about securing this door if it is only accessed through the run, which itself will be secure.  I like the idea that the birds can go in and out as they like.  It would also alleviate any worry that my automatic door opener has failed if I am out of town for a weekend.

I would still want to reduce draft.  I have seen doors with those plastic curtain strips hanging over them that the chickens can just walk through.  I was also wondering if a doggie door would work or will the birds not be able to figure it out?

Thanks

I surrounded the outside of my run with pavers so nothing can dig in. The girls free range in the day and are shut in at night. I tried to enclose a photo, but I can't figure out how.

X2 on @sunflour I'm a) lazy (I prefer to call it efficient) and b) have a secure run. I'd worry about a malfunction as well. It'd be nice to have an automatic door if the weather gets bad or if you suspect a lurking predator. I don't shut mine in. That said, I've been here for many years, know what predators lurk and have a ranch dog alarm system that has never malfunctioned. I say try it and see, be mindful of local predators. Keep us posted!

I don't have an actual door between the coop and the run, just two openings in the coop wall so they can come and go as they please.

I think with a 4x4 coop, you need to be more concerned with airflow and ventilation than blocking the door for drafts, unless you have a strong prevailing wind from that direction. That's not a very large space, and moisture can build up quickly.

I feel confident now that if I build a secure run then I can leave the coop door open. I will still build it with a door just in case.

I shouldn't have a ventilation issue. Lots of venting at the top of my coop and in the warm months my two windows come out and pretty much open up two sides. I am more concerned that leaving their door open will make it too cold in the winter when the night time temps get into the teens to below zero.

I don't have to deal with weather as cold as yours. We do add a clear thick acrylic wind block outside the coop run during the winter and that blocks wind blowing them off the chicken ramp. I have top hinged shutters on both windows to be able to close or partially close the windows when needed.

If you haven't already done so, you should do a scaled drawing of your plans and may get some input on winterizing?

Back
Top Bottom