Attaching (and painting) Hardware Cloth

nmr

Songster
Mar 12, 2020
Metro West Massachusetts
I think we've settled on using screws and washers to attach hardware cloth to our yet-to-be-built 8x12 run. The run will have just under 4' sections so we can roll the hardware cloth out vertically and get 6ft tall sides. My question is how many screws and washers should we use on each frame for attaching the hardware cloth? Also, what size screws? We're using 2x4s.

I also think I want to paint the hardware cloth, I've seen some photos and it looks nice. What's the best way to do this? Some people have said spray paint while the hardware cloth is still rolled up. Others have said paint brush or roller after the hardware cloth is attached to the frame.

I like the idea of spray painting the roll because ours is arriving today and I could do that in our garage this afternoon (and hopefully it'll be dry by the time the rain stops). But I'm concerned about dripping or the cloth becoming stuck together etc.

Also, could I use a Dremel with a grinder attachment or some sort to cut the hardware cloth?

What are everyones thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don’t have advice on the screws.
I never thought of painting it. That’s interesting. As far as how many to put, you’ll know as you’re going along, when it feels really secure. If it’s not being bent or manipulated, it doesn’t take as many.
Just have to make sure it’s flush with no gaps that something could pull it and get through.
As far as cutting it, I just used wire snips and cut it by hand. Having a tool would have saved a little time, but it wasn’t too bad.
I absolutely love hardware cloth! We recently started a new run, and did it the right way. This one is bigger, and so secure, it makes me so happy knowing I won’t have to worry as much. The work is definitely worth it!

I don’t have advice on the screws.
I never thought of painting it. That’s interesting. As far as how many to put, you’ll know as you’re going along, when it feels really secure. If it’s not being bent or manipulated, it doesn’t take as many.
Just have to make sure it’s flush with no gaps that something could pull it and get through.
As far as cutting it, I just used wire snips and cut it by hand. Having a tool would have saved a little time, but it wasn’t too bad.
I absolutely love hardware cloth! We recently started a new run, and did it the right way. This one is bigger, and so secure, it makes me so happy knowing I won’t have to worry as much. The work is definitely worth it!
Yeah, I'm not finding a lot online that says using a Dremel would be any easier. Luckily Harbor Freight has inexpensive aviation snips, so I might pop by and grab a couple after work today.

Thanks!

I attached my cloth to the frame using those 'U' shape netting nails and then sandwiched between two pieces of wood - this meant it was secured all the way round and also I didn't have to cut off the little sharp pieces along the edge as it wasn't accessible.

I cut mine using a jigsaw with steel blade - works very well.

Interesting in what people say regarding painting, I wanted black cloth but couldn't get 16g which I wanted. I would guess that cutting the pieces first and then spraying them is the way to go?

I attached my cloth to the frame using those 'U' shape netting nails and then sandwiched between two pieces of wood - this meant it was secured all the way round and also I didn't have to cut off the little sharp pieces along the edge as it wasn't accessible.

I cut mine using a jigsaw with steel blade - works very well.

Interesting in what people say regarding painting, I wanted black cloth but couldn't get 16g which I wanted. I would guess that cutting the pieces first and then spraying them is the way to go?
Nice to know a jigsaw would work, I have one :)

I was initially thinking cut and attach the HC and then paint.

Angle grinder w/cutoff wheel was fastest/easiest for me - nice straight cuts that are super quick and ability to cut flush so there’s no protruding tines like the factory edge. I use my Dremel w/cutoff wheels quite often and don’t see that setup working in my favor for long cuts on HC

I didn’t paint mine but have before - easy to do with a foam roller and light pressure to keep from building up on the opposite face. Alternatively you could also buy the black coated version. Black colored meshes you can “see though” better than plain/galvanized.

I used a pneumatic staple gun to install, fixed every 3-4” with 1.25” staples. Nice thing about the staples is I could add more staples in certain spots to “pull it tight” and remove any waves/wrinkles. Also easy to blow through the HC with pneumatic stapler too

I think the screws I used are 1 1/2" (or 1 5/8) deck screws. Had to order fender washers from a marine supply company, couldn't find ones locally that were exactly the right size to let the screw sit nicely in them.

Back
Top Bottom