Attaching hardware cloth to eaves?

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Hi,

We're building a new coop for my chickens and we're leaving the space underneath the eaves open a few inches along the whole coop for ventilation. Well, my dad wants me to get started attaching the hardware cloth under there since it's so time consuming but I'm not really sure how to go about it. Or really where exactly I should attach it. Any ideas?

Thanks

Mine is just chicken wire, not hardware cloth, but it would work the same way. I used 1 1/4" construction staples and a pneumatic staple/nail gun.

I used the hardware cloth on mine, and also used 1-1/4" staples. Just measure, cut (with extra), and trim.

I like the 1/2" HW clothe, because it actually prevents wasps from making nests up there. They can get through there of course, but they cant fly through. The have to land, swing through, then fly. I guess it's too much of a hassle for them to build a home there. Win for me.

Thanks for the info everyone! I'll have to get some staples and do it :) and I'll try to get pictures of the coop tomorrow, I think our eaves might be a little bit trickier to get to

Or you can use strips of wood along the edges of the hardware cloth. To make extra secure, you can use fender washers on the screws before driving them.
Best,
Karen

Bringing this back because I never did it before and my dad wants me to do it now. We have a roof overhang so would it still work the same way? I notice some of these are flat

Check out My Coop page.......I put HC on my open soffits.
You'll want to cut and bend to fit before attempting installation...cut and bend a small piece to fit before doing the full length.

Check out My Coop page.......I put HC on my open soffits.
You'll want to cut and bend to fit before attempting installation...cut and bend a small piece to fit before doing the full length.

Thanks, I'll check your page out and that's helpful, thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom