Attaching hardware cloth to run. Inside or outside?

Inside? Outside?

• Inside

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Outside

Votes: 50 80.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters
Did my first coop on the inside. Had a hen rip 75% of her comb off. Second coop will be inside as well, but, we'll put trim over all the sharp edges. Aesthetically, inside looks nicer tho. Good luck! 🐓❤️

This is exactly why I make sure to cover any exposed edges on mine with wood! I haven't had this happen, thankfully, but I knew that it would only be a matter of time if they were given the chance. They are good at getting in trouble, that's for sure!

I hope your hen was okay!

I used way too many staples and screws with washers too. She recovered. I kept her inside for about a week to prevent infection. Look at that comb. This pic was last week after she ripped her toe nail off. :he 🐓❤️
IMG_6452.jpeg

I used way too many staples and screws with washers too. She recovered. I kept her inside for about a week to prevent infection. Look at that comb. This pic was last week after she ripped her toe nail off. :he 🐓❤️View attachment 3676986
Glad she survived, but sounds a bit accident prone!!

I'm about 90% certain we are now going with wire attached to the outside and will use furring strips.

Yay. More staining wood in my future. I hate painting/staining. Sigh.

The run will be safe and look pretty at least.

Glad she survived, but sounds a bit accident prone!!

I'm about 90% certain we are now going with wire attached to the outside and will use furring strips.

Yay. More staining wood in my future. I hate painting/staining. Sigh.

The run will be safe and look pretty at least.
Shes named Patient for a reason! Lol Painting is so fun!,make some plain thing look so so pretty! 🥰

I made the point of a predator will likely try to push in so stapled to the outside will be stronger.

Dad thinks stapled to the inside will look nicer.

I started pushing for stapled to the outside with the edges covered by furring strips. He wants to know why I'm spending so much money on chickens.
My hubby was ok but not thrilled with my wanting to convert a good looking shed into a chicken fort/palace. He specifically said he “didn’t want it to look like the Clampetts live there”. So I took the time to space out my washers (to hold the hardware cloth down) evenly and it looks pretty nice. I also pre- stained the lumber to match the shed so it wouldn’t be noticeable. I think it looks nice (so do my chickens). There was also some mention of my “million dollar chicken house” but I pointed out that doing it right the first time ensures years of use and not having to fix things later (especially once it’s occupied). I did buy 1/4” hardware cloth and bury it plus extend it out. 2 years later I haven’t lost a chicken that was locked inside.
IMG_3259.jpeg

pneumatically driven staples not arrow50 type staples
Hmm, I think you mean to contrast 1/4" crown 18GA (Narrow crown) staples with Arrow or Bostich T-50 staples as there are pneumatic guns for both types:

The Arrow PT50 Pneumatic Staple Gun is one of Arrow's most popular staple guns. Unlike other pneumatic staple gun options, the PT50 Pneumatic Staple Gun has the capability to bump fire
Uses genuine Arrow T50 staples
Pneumatically powered for extended projects
Easy-load magazine
Comfortable, overmolded grip
Delivers maximum power with each shot
Exhaust cover
Can be used on compressors up to 120 psi
Can use 1/4 in., 5/16 in., 3/8 in., 1/2 in., or 9/16 in. staples
Unlike other pneumatic tools, the PT50 does not require oil for maintenance.

The T-50 staples are better for attaching tar paper or Tyvek House Wrap (or recycled Feed Bags) than Hardware Cloth. Fine for regular window screen (aluminum or Fiberglass) and even work with thin aluminium flashing (which I found useful along the bottom rails of a pen that the rats would attempt to chew through the wood.

Using a 1/4" x 1.5" strip of wood over the HWC and driving the narrow crown staples through it and the HWC allows a neat appearance and s sturdy construction - and is best done on the exterior of the enclosure IMHO

Back
Top Bottom