Attack chicken

urbanchix222

Hatching
Sep 26, 2019
Hi! My 3-year-old Wheaten Terrier has been raised with the chickens and does a good job (supervised only) pretty much leaving them alone - that is until we added a new girl to our small backyard flock a few weeks ago. Honey (the pullet) will not leave the dog alone. Every time she sees the dog she puffs up and attacks. In fact, I have watched her sneak up on the dog -asleep and on a lead - to peck her paws. It is getting to the point that they cannot all be out in the yard at once even with us humans supervising and the dog on a long lead. Any tips for chilling out my attack chicken? BTW - in the flock she is the subordinate hen and the top hen yields to the dog (my son calls it a pecking circle).

4D827F6A-8870-46A8-806A-42D386FE2778.jpeg
498F9A37-92D4-4796-90CF-277E9493578E.jpeg
Hi! My 3-year-old Wheaten Terrier has been raised with the chickens and does a good job (supervised only) pretty much leaving them alone - that is until we added a new girl to our small backyard flock a few weeks ago. Honey (the pullet) will not leave the dog alone. Every time she sees the dog she puffs up and attacks. In fact, I have watched her sneak up on the dog -asleep and on a lead - to peck her paws. It is getting to the point that they cannot all be out in the yard at once even with us humans supervising and the dog on a long lead. Any tips for chilling out my attack chicken? BTW - in the flock she is the subordinate hen and the top hen yields to the dog (my son calls it a pecking circle).
i’m surprised the chicken attacks the dog.. i have the opposite problem at my house. i used to have an attack chicken and i had no idea how to stop it but it was more entertaining then a problem.. i loved watching my tiny inbred mutt rooster with no tail chase a grown fedex man down the driveway :lau

I would love to see video of that. Sorry not funny but it is funny. (I hope that makes s since.).

Maybe just an idea: do a sort of see no touch while they are both outside, put the pullet in a cage and walk the dog around the cage. Or water gun may help. IDK

I would love to see video of that. Sorry not funny but it is funny. (I hope that makes s since.).

Maybe just an idea: do a sort of see no touch while they are both outside, put the pullet in a cage and walk the dog around the cage. Or water gun may help. IDK
makes complete sense! it wasn’t funny when amazon driver refused to deliver my package bc of mister louie.... and i agree on the cage technique that could help!

I'm curious if the chicken is seeing the dog as a threat and wants the dog to be aware that the dog is below the chicken per pecking order. I would take your 'attack chicken' out with another hen or two (that are lower also) and keep them separate for a bit to mix up the flocks order some.. I know its worked for aggressive chickens with chickens.. idk about dogs though lol. Just a thought.

makes complete sense! it wasn’t funny when amazon driver refused to deliver my package bc of mister louie.... and i agree on the cage technique that could help!
We had an aggressive rooster. Got rid of him. He never went after any delivery people but I would have laughed. That sounds mean but I wouldn’t have been able to help myself.

We had an aggressive rooster. Got rid of him. He never went after any delivery people but I would have laughed. That sounds mean but I wouldn’t have been able to help myself.
he was never aggressive towards me or my husband. favorite chicken i’ve ever had he let me carry him around and pet him he was incredibly sweet to me... just not strangers that came into the yard so he really was my attack chicken:)

Back
Top Bottom