attack duck

daisysducks

Songster
May 18, 2020
i have a male pekin duck named heather and he’s about 6 months old and he used to be so sweet but since the colder months came around he likes to attack people. like literally come after you and bite you he won’t leave us alone. the other ducks don’t theyre as sweet as can be but he just chases us everywhere constantly. is there like something wrong with him? i’m just wondering why he’s doing this and if there’s anything we can do to stop him?

He sounds hungry, male, and it’s winter. Not to say you are not feeding them enough and I am only going by my own observations.
My males nip and seem friendlier, or more aggressive, when they are hungry...they also pget out and go after new things in theie environment.
Try holding a handful of mealworms, peas, or something else you know he really likes to see what he does.
Then you can assess his behavior. They are protective but that also means having enough food.
There are mornings when after plenty of food the night before, our ducks are hungry.

Last edited:
This is a good question, if he is imprinted on you he could want your attention, and if that is the case simply ignoring him like you would a misbehaving dog could help. That actually was the case with one of my girls when she got a little aggressive.
yes i could try that! he is imprinted on me

He sounds hungry, male, and it’s winter. Not to say you are not feeding them enough and I am only going by my own observations.
My males nip and seem friendlier, or more aggressive, when they are hungry...they also pget out and go after new things in theie environment.
Try holding a handful of mealworms, peas, or something else you know he really likes to see what he does.
Then you can assess his behavior. They are protective but that also means having enough food.
There are mornings when after plenty of food the night before, our ducks are hungry.
thank you! i make sure to bring them snacks often, fruits, veggies, & meal worms but he still attacks, maybe i could try other types of treats?

Dies he nip the other ducks or is he protective? This is my first year with ducks and so I can offer only what I have seen. We have 13 ducks, 4 male ducks. They are not as easily mollified as my females. One is very feisty when handled.
When I watch the flock he is the one who is extra vigilant letting others eat while he stands and watches. He also has a limp he was born with.
I don’t know if this will work but in the warmer months when I would sit outside with treats, they all came up to me and would forage around me or follow me in the yard.
It may take soending time being there with the flock.
Without knowing your set-up or availability this may be a ridiculous suggestion.
I know though that all of my ducks, if they see me two stories up out on the deck, they run over to the steps where I would come down and sit.
Now they make a big noise if I don’t come down. Since it is winter and I am working, I am often just stepping out to see what they are up to and check on them.
You could also separate that duck from the flock and bring it inside for a while. I say this bc I recently did this with two makes bc they had sores on their feet. They fussed for about a half hour but after a day of seeing me. Getting treats from only me. They seemed less reactive. And they are inseparable now, like they have bonded over a mutual experience. And most of their time indoors was spent floating in our bath tub. So funny to watch them walk around together now.
There maybe attack ducks , but it may be only a matter of exposure to people and their protective instincr.
It may also be a good thing that they are protective of the flock outside and it’s okay to leave it that way.

Back
Top Bottom