Attack During Molt

GreytChicken

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2022
Richmond Virginia
Hello
One of my Red Sexlinks, Rick, was attacked yesterday when our dog was mistakenly let out at the same time as the birds. I believe she’s recovering ok with a single puncture wound on her back. I have a strong feeling she was in the early stages of molt and loss a significant number of feathers during the attack. No damage to pin feathers that I can see. The feathers came out in clumps as I examined her though.

Other than general recommendations about increasing protein for molts is there anything else I should be concerned about? What’s a good resource to find information on feather growth and biology?

Thanks!

If you have photos you wish to share, that would be good.

General care for wounds is to flush with saline or an antiseptic like Chlorhexidine, Betadine, etc. Then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

If you found one puncture wound, look for more, check her all over. Dogs do pull feathers, but they can also squeeze.

If she's in molt, then feathers coming out in clumps as you handled her would be normal.

I'd see that she's eating her normal feed and drinking well. You can give her a direct dose of poultry vitamins for a couple of days if you wish.

Extra protein like egg, meat or fish can be given in small portions a few times a week to boost protein or you can feed chick starter or an all flock feed.

If you have photos you wish to share, that would be good.

General care for wounds is to flush with saline or an antiseptic like Chlorhexidine, Betadine, etc. Then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

If you found one puncture wound, look for more, check her all over. Dogs do pull feathers, but they can also squeeze.

If she's in molt, then feathers coming out in clumps as you handled her would be normal.

I'd see that she's eating her normal feed and drinking well. You can give her a direct dose of poultry vitamins for a couple of days if you wish.

Extra protein like egg, meat or fish can be given in small portions a few times a week to boost protein or you can feed chick starter or an all flock feed.

I cleaned and treated the wound with poultry vetericyn and antimicrobial hydrogel. She’s our friendliest bird so I think I was able to get a good check and only found the single puncture wound. The attack didn’t last long as she appears to have gotten away at least once and my boyfriend caught the dog early.

She spent most of the day alone in the small coop not moving. Yesterday She drank electrolyte water and had a small amount of fermented feed. This morning she eagerly picked out the meal worms from her pumpkin and left the nest box on her own when she saw me leaving. She’s clearly in pain but loves rainy weather so I think this storm coming up the coast is helping her mood. I watched her scratching around in the run a bit. I’m planning on scrambling an egg this evening and will look into getting some vitamins for her.

This is the only image I have currently. I clipped some of the feather as I cleaned her up.

Attachments

• 0657194B-B2E0-44CD-85F7-552838F167A1.jpeg
    0657194B-B2E0-44CD-85F7-552838F167A1.jpeg
    465 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom