ATTACK OF THE APHIDS!!!!!

DramaBrahmaMama

Songster
Mar 11, 2022
Knoxville, IA
Went out to harvest some lettuce last night and realized that my cabbage and late radishes (I grow for chickens) are completely covered in aphids. Has anyone heard of or actually used the flour method to combat these little terrorists??? I won't use chemicals, so I need an organic trick!!!!

Went out to harvest some lettuce last night and realized that my cabbage and late radishes (I grow for chickens) are completely covered in aphids. Has anyone heard of or actually used the flour method to combat these little terrorists??? I won't use chemicals, so I need an organic trick!!!!
Hose them off with a strong stream of water. It’ll take 2 or 3 times, but they’re lazy enough they’ll give up, hopefully before you do.

So, I'm going to give Neme oil another try... I did not have any luck with it when were in TX. I did dust the plants with flour, and then about 12 hrs later we had a pretty heavy rain. I went out to check everything this morning and all the plants are clear!!!!!

We ran into a similar problem a few years back. We ended up reusing some greenhouse plastic and wood we had lying around to make some short greenhouse covers similar to the image below. We got the grow plastic here if you are interested. https://jigglygreenhouse.com/store/

Attachments

• 86ef891c8f23c43c635127e819705cd1.jpg
    86ef891c8f23c43c635127e819705cd1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 2
Just a note on the ladybugs, we had an aphid invasion last year and bought ladybugs, released them by the affected plants and our chickens came running up and thanked us for the tasty snack we put out there for them.

Back
Top Bottom