Attacked by a Coyote help!!

HannahC1198

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 3, 2012
Okay so 2 days ago a coyote got into our field and attacked our flock and our full grown female turkey went missing we thought she was dead but she turned up sometime last night severely injured she has a chunk missing on her back in between her wings and two DEEP puncture wounds beneath each wing and a big cut mid back. I thoroughly cleaned it because it was infested with maggots and I got all of them out that I could, rinsed it with saline and then poured pretty much a whole bottle of iodine on all of it and bandaged it loosely so that it can scab over the thing that worries me its that it smells very bad and on top of all that she is molting what should i do? Please help I don't want to lose her!!
hit.gif

Oh my goodness that sounds pretty bad. Sounds like she could use an antibiotic with all of the wounds, the odor, and maggots. Do you have any antibiotics at home? Are you hoping to breed her or is she a pet? Sounds like you are doing a good job cleaning her up. I might put some neosporin ointment on some of the wounds to help with infection, and pick up a can of BluKote at the feedstore for when she is well enough to go back out into the population. If she is molting she needs extra protein, so give her scrambled eggs or whatever turkeys like for a treat plus some high protein feed. Let us know how she is doing.

She's a pet her mate got killed about a month ago and we didn't know what by but now my guess is a coyote. And I don't have any antibiotics but I'll go to the store and pick some up. I didn't know if there was something extra I need to do because it's a coyote. The one that attacked her was about as big as my great dane but skinnier and he was mangy I just hope he didn't give something super nasty. I just don't know what to do!
barnie.gif

She's a pet her mate got killed about a month ago and we didn't know what by but now my guess is a coyote. And I don't have any antibiotics but I'll go to the store and pick some up. I didn't know if there was something extra I need to do because it's a coyote. The one that attacked her was about as big as my great dane but skinnier and he was mangy I just hope he didn't give something super nasty. I just don't know what to do!
barnie.gif
Yes to the antibiotics as Eggcessive suggested,the smell from wound indicates it is infected. Clean this wound several times a day. If possible keep her inside,watch for maggots.

One of my chickens had a similar back wound. I took mine to the vet. I don't know if you can find these at a store but our vet gave us silvadane cream to help with pain, nolvasan solution to clean the wound, and amoxicillin ( these were given to her every 12 hours). There was two syringes we had to give her by mouth but I think they were antibiotics. I hope she gets better.

Okay so she's doing much better today the wounds are scabbing over and there were not any more maggots in her wounds it started pouring down rain last night so I went out and put her in our barn to keep her dry and changed her bandages. most of the cuts seem to be healing but one of the puncture wounds is worrisome it seems to be leaking some sort of brown liquid. Any ideas as to what it is?

Back
Top Bottom