Attacked by broody ...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GoodEgg, May 19, 2008.

1. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Hello all,

I'm sure glad I never ran into one of these when I was a kid! I'd have never had chickens again!

My banties have gone broody a number of times and have to be hauled off their imaginary nests each night and placed in the coop. Now I have a barred rock that's gone broody in the pampas grass at the back of the property.

The good thing is ... all the other chickens used to lay there sometimes, and having the broody there keeps them from doing that so a lot more eggs are in the nest boxes.

The bad thing is ... I don't want to leave her out all night in case of predators. Tonight she put up a HUGE fuss being taken off her "nest."

I never knew chickens could do this. I've been bitten before, but this little girl did a quick jump-wing-flap thing that could slice you with her feathers. She did that repeatedly, trying to bite me, dancing around in the pampas grass (which is sharp as well and will cut, along with being laced with briers!). When I FINALLY caught her and picked her up, she screamed bloody chicken murder for a good 2 minutes. I've NEVER heard a chicken scream like that! I'm surprised the police didn't show up.

I finally got her in the coop, but I am DREADING tomorrow night ... sigh.

The things we do for our chickens ...

trish

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    yes some broody hens will fight bigtime if you take them off their nests.

3. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    They can be quite vicious,but wouldn't you be if someone was trying to steal your babies,lol?

4. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

:Dsounds like my geese, they have really bonded w/the four American Buff goslings I got Friday and I'm hardly allowed to clean or add bedding, refill feeders and water containers:lol: Don't know which is worse, but I think those small ones move quicker...

5. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    My goodness! I think the smartest hens tend to be the "broodiest". They have that "survival instinct" big time!!!

6. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    how would you like it if you were taken away from your infants?

7. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

And I thought the screaming banties were bad. When I go in the coop to check for eggs they start screaming bloody murder before I even get to the nest box.

9. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    if u where in here position u would do the same im sure....sometime u need to walk in the hens shoes

10. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Well, you've heard the saying: Mad as an old wet settin' hen. Now you know where it comes from. Got attacked by mine yestrday.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by