Attacked by dog, carried around by neck

Trexchicken

Hatching
Aug 31, 2021
Hello, this unfortunately is my first post. I thought I had solved the problem of my girls getting over the fence, by clipping their (one)wings, but apparently not. My obviously prey driven dog got a hold of one of my girls today and we found her huddled against a fence in our yard. She has not made a single sound and I was sure she was dead. She has lost all feathers from her comb down her neck and it looks as though her waddles are hanging off?? This is my first batch of chickens I have ever had and have raised them since they were a week or two old. There is no place that I see blood still coming from, so for now to help with shock I have sprayed her bare area with vetericyn and have her wrapped in a towel. Her eyes stay closed mostly, but will open for loud sounds. Please advise! Should I go ahead and wash , will that endive more shock??? Area done the neck looks same as picture!!

Attachments

• 6C4CDB06-FFFE-4EDF-B50F-F6BEC5674C89.jpeg
    6C4CDB06-FFFE-4EDF-B50F-F6BEC5674C89.jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 15
She may be in shock for the first day. It depends if she was crushed or shaken, as to how much damage was done. I would keep her in a quiet protected area in low light, such as in a covered wire dog crate with food and water near. Occasionally hold a lid of water up to her beak. Mushy chicken feed with a lot of water or scrambled egg is also good to offer.

With young pullets the first year or so, they can easily jump up and over a 4 to 5 foot fence, even with a clipped wing. However they cannot get over electric poultry netting only 42 inches high, because they cannot jump up on it and bound over. That is what I had to use after 3 of my pullets jumped into my yard where my golden retriever was waiting. A shock collar used only once solved the problem with the dog. I hope that she recovers.

She may be in shock for the first day. It depends if she was crushed or shaken, as to how much damage was done. I would keep her in a quiet protected area in low light, such as in a covered wire dog crate with food and water near. Occasionally hold a lid of water up to her beak. Mushy chicken feed with a lot of water or scrambled egg is also good to offer.

With young pullets the first year or so, they can easily jump up and over a 4 to 5 foot fence, even with a clipped wing. However they cannot get over electric poultry netting only 42 inches high, because they cannot jump up on it and bound over. That is what I had to use after 3 of my pullets jumped into my yard where my golden retriever was waiting. A shock collar used only once solved the problem with the dog. I hope that she recovers.
Do you think I should try and wash her off or wait? She moved and I was able to capture a picture of the hanging bits from her neck.

Attachments

• 27071513-71C9-4398-9822-EE54C94FB1A3.jpeg
    27071513-71C9-4398-9822-EE54C94FB1A3.jpeg
    567.2 KB · Views: 10
Oh poor thing. It looks like her earlobe may be torn off on the left side, and there is a lot of skin and feathers missing on the right as well. I can’t see torn wattles. I would use either saline, 2% chlorhexidene (or Hibiclens 4% with water mixed in,) or Vetericyn wound spray on the wounds. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment can be applied to the wounds to keep them moist until they heal. She is probably going to be in pain and shock. If you can see a vet that would be very good.

Back
Top Bottom