Attacked by? Graphic pics.

I’m on vacation and have a friend watching my quail. She sent these pics yesterday and was very upset. Something got into the barn and had a quail murder spree. But why just their heads!? I was thinking rats? I’m almost completely sure the coop has been proofed from anything larger than that (fox, raccoon) but maybe weasel?

I’m having her shut them in the larger portion of the coop for now as the attacks seemed to only take place in the one side.

Of course this happens while I’m away! I hope fluffy made it.
Sorry for your loss 😢
I’m not that good with American predators but I hope things will turn out better for you next time. 😊 good luck

I'm really sorry for your loss.

I've had some rat attacks in my aviary before. I know for sure that it was rats, because They are the only predators that could get in (and I don't get most of the others around here).

I've had some that just go missing, without anything left except maybe a wing and some feathers. I've had one that was partially ripped apart and another that looked like it was bitten. I also found one of my finches almost completely decapitated.

Rats can fit through holes that are only 2 cm wide. I had them burrowing under my aviary, so I had to line it with mouse mesh under the dirt.

Thanks for all of your replies and sympathies. I feel bad I didn’t protect the birds better. My quail sitter saw the weasel pop it’s head out of a small hole in the floor yesterday. It was in the process of piling the seven or so victims up. She put a board over the hole but I had her move the rest of the flock into the main room where there’s no sub floor.

We are planning to electrify the whole barn now. I’m also thinking a poultry guardian dog if I can find something that works with small birds. There’s an orchard nearby that raises one breed that just stays out with their flock.

Thanks for all of your replies and sympathies. I feel bad I didn’t protect the birds better. My quail sitter saw the weasel pop it’s head out of a small hole in the floor yesterday. It was in the process of piling the seven or so victims up. She put a board over the hole but I had her move the rest of the flock into the main room where there’s no sub floor.

We are planning to electrify the whole barn now. I’m also thinking a poultry guardian dog if I can find something that works with small birds. There’s an orchard nearby that raises one breed that just stays out with their flock.
I have a dog and sometimes our birds escape when their meant to be in their coop but he doesn’t even care. 😂 Otherwise, we don’t let him with them when I’m free ranging them. 😊 Hope all goes well.

Such voracious predators.
I have deep respect for nature typically.
But any predator that kills more than it will eat is despicable in my opinion.
Weasels are the worst, with coons very close in there. Just killing to kill.

That must have been a terrible and shocking thing to have to see!!
"Any predator that kills more than it will eat is despicable in my opinion"

Welcome to nature @sloanbychoice

Its been going on since the beginning of time and will continue. Don't get upset at predators for doing what predators do.

Back
Top Bottom