ATTACKED!! Is it too late?

llefave

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 15, 2015
One of my baby chicks was attacked by something. Anyone know if there is anything I can do? In addition to the wound seen her other leg has a lot of fluid built up. Appears to have bruising there. Is it too late? Also, I do not have a heat bulb. They were with their Mom. Can I use a box with a heating pad or do you recommend me getting a bulb?

Would love to help her if I can

Attachments

• IMG_3668.JPG
    IMG_3668.JPG
    357.5 KB · Views: 13
One of my baby chicks was attacked by something. Anyone know if there is anything I can do? In addition to the wound seen her other leg has a lot of fluid built up. Appears to have bruising there. Is it too late? Also, I do not have a heat bulb. They were with their Mom. Can I use a box with a heating pad or do you recommend me getting a bulb?

Would love to help her if I can
The heating pad will be fine but set it up over a wire basket or similar so the chick can walk under it instead of on it and only have it on one side of the box---food and water on the other side. Good Luck

I don't have birds, but, I have done A LOT of reading on here and it's amazing what chickens can recover from. I would do as @PD-Riverman said and put the heating pad up over something, think about making a cave with the heating pad as the top and sides. I would do that, and maybe put some save-a-chick or something similar in the water to help with any shock, if it is still walking around, eating and acting pretty much OK I would just let it have it's warm cave and food and water. If it is going to die, none of that will hurt it, but it may just save it.

Flush the wound well with saline and apply some Vetericyn or triple antibiotic ointment on the wound. Provide her with some poultry vitamins and offer wet chick starter - add a little egg or tuna to entice her, but make sure she is drinking well before worrying about food.

I agree with the above posts about using the heating pad - make her a cave or construct something for her to go under as she pleases.

A photo of the leg may be helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. She is not walking. I have been giving her water with sav a chick in it with syringe. Will do the heating pad on top. I cleaned and dressed the wound. Guess the rest is up to her. Can I just keep her in over night and continue with fluids? I dont think she would stay worm with Mom and seven siblings. Thinking best chance may be keeping her inside and if she is up and around possible Reunion tomorrow? Or not?

Thank you for taking the time to answer. She is not walking. I have been giving her water with sav a chick in it with syringe. Will do the heating pad on top. I cleaned and dressed the wound. Guess the rest is up to her. Can I just keep her in over night and continue with fluids? I dont think she would stay worm with Mom and seven siblings. Thinking best chance may be keeping her inside and if she is up and around possible Reunion tomorrow? Or not?
I would keep her in tonight, chickens like to peck at blood, so be very careful if/when you put her back out, make sure that her mom and siblings don't try to eat her...

Back
Top Bottom